Digital, WSJT-X, VAC1/VAC2 and DXLab

SA3ATF

Digital, WSJT-X, VAC1/VAC2 and DXLab

Postby SA3ATF » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Hello to all of you!

I'm trying to get started with digital modes om my Anan 200D, but having trouble making it work satisfactorily.
VAC1 I have dedicated to phone where I drive ASIO and my sound card so I would like to have digital setup on VAC2. Do not work as I want.
The closest I've come is to WSJT-X listens to RX1 but sends the RX2 with dual recive on the DXCommander. Have read all I can find about the subject but have not found any solution.
Want it to work smoothly without having to change so many settings.
All answers are welcome :)
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
w-u-2-o

Re: Digital, WSJT-X, VAC1/VAC2 and DXLab

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Have you read the VAC tutorial?

Scott
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Yes, I have read I can promise you.
There must be something i miss, but will sit down when I have time and go through everything again and let's hope I come up with something good.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Well, if you read it then you missed the part about how VAC1 only services RX1, and VAC2 only services RX2. So you can't use VAC2 to do anything but receive on digital, and you have to set up RX2 to do even that.

I do exactly what you do, that is run fully virtualized audio for phone and digital, all through the computer, no analog connections to the radio. To do this use Voicemeeter (VMB). Put your sound card microphone input on hardware input 1. Put your sound card speaker output on hardware output A1. Put VAC1 on the first virtual channel. Put all of your digi mode programs on the second virtual channel (they can all attach simultaneously if you want).

Now you have a virtual mixing board and patch panel. Indeed, that's what VMB is intended to be. It's aimed at podcasters and gamers, but it works perfectly well for us, too! You really don't need to do much "mixing", i.e. level controls generally stay at 0dB (100%), but patching (or switching or routing, whatever you want to call it) is unlimited. The tutorial shows how to do this for a simple digital mode setup. Those concepts easily extend to using it to route mic and speaker audio, too. Want to run phone? Hit the buttons that patch the hardware input 1 to B1, and virtual channel 1 to hardware output A1. Want to run digi? And so on. It's harder to describe than to do!

Make sure to pay strict attention the direction in the tutorial about VMB. You want to be sure that everything, virtual and hardware wise, is set to 48KHz sample rate across the board.

73!

Scott
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 am

Thank you so much for the answer!

I probably (most likely) is stupid, but I can not work it unfortunately :roll:
Seeing that WMB gets signal according to the meters in it, but I can not get the signal to the radio.
Have been sitting for too long with this, so I'll take a new look and try again to the weekend.

Tommy, sa3atf
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 am

Been having some struggles with getting digital running with the 200D. When I switch to DIGU the Mic is still hot, even if VAC is turned on? Is that normal?

My way around is to make a TX Profile that switches the Mic in to Line in to kill the mic. But that seems like a kludge.
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:08 am

Gary,

You are doing something wrong in your setup. The radio (i.e. PowerSDR) will only allow a single source of transmit audio at a time. Mic, line or VAC. It will not allow more than one at a time. Operating mode (USB or DIGU) has nothing to do with this. The only difference between USB and DIGU is that DIGU will ensure that all TX audio processing is disabled.

In VAC setup, do not check any of the "override" boxes. If one or more of these are enabled, when you use the relevant PTT method mic audio will override VAC audio. The intent of this feature, by the way, is to allow an easy way to override a voice keyer coming in via VAC, like the one in N1MM logger, during contesting.

So I'm guessing you've got one or more of the override options accidentally enabled. However, on a more unlikely note, is it possible that your mic audio is somehow routed through your PC at the same time as it goes directly into the radio?

Also, VAC settings are stored in the TX profile. So if you are storing a digital mode oriented profile, be sure that all of the VAC settings are correct.

Scott

P.S. not sure why you are tacking your post onto this topic? It is worthy of its own separate topic, either in this sub-forum or the digital audio sub-forum.
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 am

Have not had time to look more at this but think there's something else I missed because I can not record TX audio neither in quick recording nor under wave.
On the other hand, it works as it should record RX audio.
Hope it will be calmer during the middle days so I can take a closer look at this.

Wants to wish everyone a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tommy, sa3atf
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Tommy,

Take a look at this thread to read more about quick record/playback.

Searching on "record" in the forum might also be helpful.

Scott

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”