ANAN 7000DLE - No Com ports available in Thetis for CAT

NF5F

ANAN 7000DLE - No Com ports available in Thetis for CAT

Postby NF5F » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 pm

When I installed Thetis and upgraded my firmware, the WSJT-X connection stopped working. Prior to the upgrade, I was able to use VAC for audio and rig control. Now I am able to see and hear the traffic but I am not able to see any COM ports in the CAT tab of Thetis that would allow me to use the TS-2000 proxy.

Despite the problem occurring after the upgrade, I assumed it was a configuration error since the WSJT-X connection I had was tenuous, at best. Until today, COM ports 5 and 6 would come up, whether they were activated in VAC or not. I noticed that these ports were listed as Standard Serial over Bluetooth link ports until I turned off bluetooth on my computer. Then they no longer showed up as port options under CAT Control.

Here is what I have done to try to straighten out my COM ports:
- tried running com0com. Uninstalled it and installed
- VAC with Omnirig. Uninstalled both applications and installed
- VMB. Uninstalled that along with WSJT-X, reset (and created a new) Thetis database,
- uninstalled all COM ports within Windows 10 and reset the COM port registry back to 0 and replaced my ethernet cable.

I have reinstalled WSJT-X and VAC with 10 virtual cables, using lines 1&2 for WSJT-X. The installation looks clean but nothing is available in CAT Control.

Am I missing a corrupted file somewhere or did I just miss something really obvious?

Thank you,

Bob / NF5F
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN 7000DLE - No Com ports available in Thetis for CAT

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:36 am

Bob,

First and foremost, VAC and VMB have NOTHING to do with serial data, only audio data. If your audio is moving OK then you are good to go with whatever you are doing, audio-wise.

Second, it would appear that you are not properly configuring whatever virtual serial port software you are using, com0com or otherwise. There are really only three choices: com0com, Eterlogic VSPE (my preference) and VSPM.

Please post some screen shots of your virtual serial port software configuration screens.

Scott
NF5F

Postby NF5F » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you, Scott. I kept wondering how virtual audio cables could process audio and pass control data. And how could this be done through a sound card? It bothered me that there was no reasonable way it should work, but I kept finding evidence in the myriad posts I read that a digital cable is a digital cable. Anyway, you clarified what should have been obvious to me.

I got a copy of VSPE and everything is working perfectly for the first time in more than a year. The Eterlogic process for purchasing a 64 bit version is confusing (you get a 32 bit version until you enter the 64 bit registration code), but I got past that and now have VSPE loading with a configuration file on startup. Now that I understand how the data flows work, I am going to take another look at VMB for my audio. It seemed to have quite a bit more flexibility than VAC.

Thanks again for the help, Scott!

Bob / NF5F
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 pm

VMB and VSPE are the way to go. The very nominal cost of the VSPE license is more than made up for in the stability and the flexibility of the product.

You should make careful note of the successor to VMB, which is Voicemeeter Potato (VMP :D ) I'm waiting for the final release before migrating to VMP, but I am excited because VMP has an additional channel and this will allow assignment, routing and mixing for both VAC1 (RX1) and VAC2 (RX) interfaces simultaneously.

73!

Scott

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”