Amp for 7000 DLE MKII and AM.

WU1T

Amp for 7000 DLE MKII and AM.

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Would like to hear experiences with amplifiers that play nice with Anans and the AM mode. What works well, what doesn't. Yes I did use the search first but didn't really come up with a thread that addresses this topic.
w-u-2-o

Re: Amp for 7000 DLE MKII and AM.

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:40 pm

You can't go wrong with an Elecraft KPA-500 or KPA-1500. They operate just fine in any mode. Bulletproof, easy to operate, and excellent remote control software. Also fully supported by DDUtil for station automation. The -1500 also has a built-in coupler for PureSignal. Elecraft is pricey, though!
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You can't go wrong with an Elecraft KPA-500 or KPA-1500. They operate just fine in any mode. Bulletproof, easy to operate, and excellent remote control software. Also fully supported by DDUtil for station automation. The -1500 also has a built-in coupler for PureSignal. Elecraft is pricey, though!

Pricey indeed, the KPA-1500 is well outside my budget and the threshold at which my wife would murder me. KPA-500 is an option though, I am not looking for full legal limit, just a little above and beyond barefoot output.

KPA-500 is backordered though with no current ETA. I'll keep it in mind, but will also consider other options. I really like the idea of the KM3KM amp but it is unknown to me if it is proven on AM and longevity of support is a question.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:23 pm

In the winter I use an AL-82 with its pair of 3-500 jugs running at around 250 watts of carrier on AM with my ANAN 200D. It has plenty of headroom and can run AM all day and all night. Plus, it has the added benefit or really warming the room on those cold evenings while running AM on 160 meters. When the warm weather comes I use an ALS-1306 for AM linear service and it easily runs 200 watts of carrier very comfortably. Again, it has plenty of headroom for AM linear service and the power supply and double banked MRF-150 FETs never complain. Scott, is right, there are many amps that can handle AM linear service so keep asking around until you find the amp that fits your needs.

73, Rob
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 pm

W1AEX wrote:In the winter I use an AL-82 with its pair of 3-500 jugs running at around 250 watts of carrier on AM with my ANAN 200D. It has plenty of headroom and can run AM all day and all night. Plus, it has the added benefit or really warming the room on those cold evenings while running AM on 160 meters. When the warm weather comes I use an ALS-1306 for AM linear service and it easily runs 200 watts of carrier very comfortably. Again, it has plenty of headroom for AM linear service and the power supply and double banked MRF-150 FETs never complain. Scott, is right, there are many amps that can handle AM linear service so keep asking around until you find the amp that fits your needs.

73, Rob

Great response, thank you. I'll look into these. A little warming of the room is also fine with me as my shack is in the basement with no heat.
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:21 am

Most amplifiers will handle AM just fine as long as you are realistic about the output level. Ameritron is a good example of a manufacturer with optimistic ratings. The al80b that's advertised as a kw amp is good for 125 to 150 watts carrier.

My rule of thumb for buzzardly AM with a linear is run the carrier power at 1/4 of the tube's plate dissipation. You still have to make sure the power supply and cooling are up to the task.

This chart may or may not be helpful be helpful.

https://www.w8ji.com/am_linear_amplifiers.htm

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”