Any one using KM3KM amplifier

vu2mb

Any one using KM3KM amplifier

Postby vu2mb » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi
Is there anyone using KM3KM Amplifier with ANAN in the forum?
Thank you & 73
Bhanu
VU2MB
Dell Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 9 3950 PC-16 core @3.5 Ghz,
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) F URY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR 6
ANAN 8000DLE ANAN 200D ANAN 100D
Amplifier Mercury IIIS, Antenna Tuner: Palstar AT2K
w-u-2-o

Re: Any one using KM3KM amplifier

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:42 pm

I'd buy one in a second if it had remote control over the network. I asked him if it was planned for the future. Unfortunately it is not.
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 pm

That is AKA the Mercury III amp. Should work perfectly. I know a few guys running them and they all like them a lot. Shouldn't be much specific to an Anan as the exciter.

Here is another site with a bit more information. https://www.qsl.net/rz1zr/linear-power- ... iiis-.html

You'll likely want an RF sampler to use with Pure Signal though.
vu2mb

Postby vu2mb » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 am

Dear Scott & Chris,

All reviews are 5 stars so I decided to take the plunge but it did not materialise as he said it will take 90+ days and I requested him to get it delivered within 70 as I would be in the US by that time and would extend my stay by 10 more days. He was adamant about the timeline. Later I and a friend decided to buy PCBs and paid $400 including decoder chips for 2 sets of PCB's and next week they will be delivered in Seattle.

Regarding PCB purchase I expected stencil with PCB as he mentioned on his website that you need a stencil and the video too explained how to use a stencil, but he refused to give any stencils
https://www.km3km.com/smd-welding/

His BOM too is not perfect as I noticed some missing parts, Waiting for PCB's Image of the silkscreen to match components. ( BOM on his website and the one supplied does not match. May be the supplied one is newer.)

He refused hardware kit like fan folders and LCD supporting plate and other hardware by paying the cost.
He mentioned that he would not dedicate much time for support and that this project is not for faint hearts. Though his website mentioned that it's for starters and advanced hams alike and he would answer all making related emails.

RZ1ZR is selling the firmware and also the kit of KM3KM but assembled by him in Russia and he demanded 25 days but by that time we decided to buy PCB's and build it ourselves. Have RF Sampler from AC2IQ.

Thanks & 73
Bhanu
VU2MB
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 am

Ah ok, the high demand is probably causing them some trouble. These amps are becoming very popular quickly.

My friends got a complete kit where all the surface mount parts were fitted and tested. All they had to do was assemble some jumpers between the boards. Very minimal build that most did in just a few hours time. I would say the people I know that assembled these were of avg technical ability and by no means serious bench techs.

I have a Palstar LA-1k and an RF Kit RF2K-S and really like both of them. It’s really nice having a no-tune amp.

You may even be able to modify the Mercury for low input drive as well. I like being able to run the exciter below 20W to get full output.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Very cool looking amp , love the screen
vu2mb

Postby vu2mb » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Dear Chris & Tony,

Yes, it may be in high demand otherwise he would have agreed to deliver in 70 days. I too love this amp and a friend convinced me to make it together from scratch and I thought it would be fun. Now components will be sourced as per BOM from the US and China and then shipped to India hopefully by the month-end.

Bhanu
VU2MB
WU1T

Postby WU1T » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Anyone know if the KM3KM amp is rated for use on AM?
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm

WU1T wrote:Anyone know if the KM3KM amp is rated for use on AM?

I'd love to know what its rating is in AM linear service as well. They do list AM in their manuals (see below) but no operational specifics for AM linear service are mentioned. I would guess that it most likely surpasses my ALS-1306 which I run with my ANAN-200D in AM linear mode at between 150w to 200w carrier without ever complaining. Looks like a great amp (I did not see anything but 5-star ratings in the 4 pages of reviews at eHam) if they can ever shorten the lead time from ordering to arrival on your doorstep!

Rob W1AEX

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
G1XOW

Postby G1XOW » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Take a look at the Gemini DX-1200 2 x BLF188XR, pre built and tested. Still long delivery times at the moment though.

https://thedxshop.com/product/dx1200-so ... amplifier/

73 de Steve G1XOW
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:28 am

W1AEX wrote:
WU1T wrote:Anyone know if the KM3KM amp is rated for use on AM?

I'd love to know what its rating is in AM linear service as well. They do list AM in their manuals (see below) but no operational specifics for AM linear service are mentioned. I would guess that it most likely surpasses my ALS-1306 which I run with my ANAN-200D in AM linear mode at between 150w to 200w carrier without ever complaining. Looks like a great amp (I did not see anything but 5-star ratings in the 4 pages of reviews at eHam) if they can ever shorten the lead time from ordering to arrival on your doorstep!

Rob W1AEX

Rob, I’m not an AM operator, but KQ2W came by and put the LUX through its paces in AM. 375 w will provide around 1.1 KW - 1.2 KW modulation. It appeared linear and the LUX didn’t heat up. If my terms are wrong, please forgive me; again, I don’t do AM.
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:29 am

vu2mb wrote:Hi
Thank you & 73
Bhanu
VU2MB

I’m using the LUX. Love it!
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:19 pm

That mercury Lux looks even nicer
N3GX

Postby N3GX » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:59 pm

vu2mb wrote:Hi
Thank you & 73
Bhanu
VU2MB

I'm using the Mercury Lux with the ANAN 7000DLE MKII and I'm absolutely loving it. I have the radio set to 20W for SSB and I get around 1,300W out on the Mercury Lux with outstanding linearity in all bands.
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:22 pm

I am intending to acquire a Mercury LUX amp to use with my ANAN-7000DLE Mk II PROVIDED I can use the LUX Band Data connection to have the amp follow xcvr frequency changes. Specifically, I don't want to use RF sensing for this purpose. Anyone doing this? If so, can you describe the connections used and the amp and radio menu settings related to this configuration? The LUX manual is really "thin" in this area; actually, it's really thin in most areas!

Thanks,
Rick
K8EZB
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:53 pm

K8EZB wrote:I am intending to acquire a Mercury LUX amp to use with my ANAN-7000DLE Mk II PROVIDED I can use the LUX Band Data connection to have the amp follow xcvr frequency changes. Specifically, I don't want to use RF sensing for this purpose. Anyone doing this? If so, can you describe the connections used and the amp and radio menu settings related to this configuration? The LUX manual is really "thin" in this area; actually, it's really thin in most areas!

Thanks,
Rick
K8EZB

Page 9 of the Lux manual and page 13.

You need a serial port or a USB to serial adapter on your PC to connect the Lux with the PC.

You would select Kenwood on the amp, and then set up a CAT port in Thetis for Kenwood at 9600 baud. VSPE would create a serial virtual cable to link the two and you should be off and running.

It's just a CAT link.
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:24 pm

You need a serial port or a USB to serial adapter on your PC to connect the Lux with the PC.

Thanks for the speedy response.

This is where things get a little fuzzy for me. Is the cable from the LUX Band Data connector to the serial port a straight through RS-232 cable or something else? My amp is remoted from the PC via gigE connections, with an Enet to RS-232 server at the amp end which has several available RS-232 ports which are available to Thetis.

Rick
K8EZB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:42 pm

Rick,

This will be a "real" port as far as Thetis is concerned. No virtual serial port cables instances required. The port number you specify in Thetis will be the port number associated with the port on the RS-232 device server (Moxa, right?) And of course you'll configure the device server and Thetis for 9600N81 operation.

I looked at both the Lux manual and some online data regarding Kenwood serial port connections. The results were unclear to me regarding the sense of the TXD and RXD connections. Referring to this figure out of the Lux manual:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 4528 times

If we believe that the Lux is defined as DCE, as the female DE9 on the rear panel would suggest, then RXD on pin 6 and TXD on pin 1, wired as they are in the figure, should allow the pictured Kenwood cable to plug directly into the DTE port of the device server, since a DTE DE9M port has RXD on pin 2 (an input on DTE) and TXD on pin 3 (an output on DTE).

However...people, and documentation, often gets so confused where DTE/DCE/RXD/TXD/M.O.U.S.E. is concerned that it's probably a 50/50 shot if this works ;) The good news is that just swapping pins 2 and 3 will solve the problem 99% of the time.

I almost always make my own cables or buy cables and connectors that can be re-pinned, so this is rarely an issue for me. I'd suggest posturing yourself to be able to use the cable as shown in the figure, or one like it but with pins 2 and 3 swapped on the PC (DTE) end. That way when you get the amp there's no drama. Just pick the cable that works.

If you want total flexibility, you can buy something like this. You don't even need to solder if you buy some jumper wires. Or go all in and make your own cable with just a screwdriver and some wire strippers with this kit.

Scott
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:01 pm

Thanks, Scott! Yes, Moxa. I was zeroing in on this while you wre typing and now see what is needed (I think). I have used the "flexible" style DB9 connectors previously so this is familiar territory.

It is likely I will have some time to think this through more thoroughly as I may have several months left before my turn comes up to purchase a LUX. The other challenge will be getting the LUX Remote software working; right now I am thinking an FTDI USB to RS-232 cable from the amp to another Moxa port. Or, alternatively, using my Silex USB to Enet server.

Best,
Rick
K8EZB

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”