Tune Button

sv1jso

Tune Button

Postby sv1jso » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:53 am

Hello,

I have the following problem.

One of my antennas is a long wire with a remote tuner. In order to be tuned you need to apply a few watt carrier. This is very easy with the tune button that works fine in every band. The problem arrives when the amplifier is online. It would be easier if there were a tick box in the transmitting panel that would disable ptt out in tune or a cat command with the same payload.
I know also that I could not use that button and I do that through ddutil but the version for Thetis is outdated and does not support 60m.
Anyone do it differently?

Be well
Mike SV1JSO
w-u-2-o

Re: Tune Button

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Mike,

I have not looked at it, but I suspect the most current version of DDUtil does not support 60M. I had requested Steve add it for 60M as part of the Auto Drive" feature. He refused. He was philosophically opposed to it, saying it was unnecessary because 60M is limited to 100W. So it's not a matter of the older versions being "obsolete". Although it would be interesting to know if he eventually changed his mind.

I also use a remote tuner, and I use DDUtil to automate my tuning to the extent possible. It helps that I have an amplifier supported by DDUtil, a KPA500, which I have connected to my PC so that it can be controlled by DDUtil and by the Elecraft remote control software.

I created a macro button that:

- Puts the amp in standby
- Sets the tune power I want in Thetis
- Asserts TUN

This button is a a "toggle" macro in DDUtil, so when I hit the button a second time it:

- Deasserts TUN
- Refreshes Auto Drive settings
- Puts the amp back in operate mode

So I hit the DDUtil macro button, wait until tuning is done, maybe manually adjust RF drive as required while that's happening, then hit the button again.

Scott
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks Scott for the information.
I use the tune button not only for tuning my coupler but for other things like checking swr of my antenna in order to see if I have the correct antenna engaged or the antenna is in the correct frequency (steppir) etc.
Usually I am running barefoot and there is no problem but when I use the SPE amp, it is output full power with 5w input, two things can happen. The linear will go into protection mode or the coupler will be fried.
Also have a tune button in my ddutil but I don't use it very often. Always my mouse prefers the Thetis tune button. I believe that a simple checkbox in the transmit panel (disable ptt out on tune) will be the perfect solution for a lot of people.

Regards
Mike SV1JSO
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:18 pm

It's probably going to be a long time before you see that Mike, so you might want to consider the suggested alternative.
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 pm

I have been working with the software for the option to disable or enable ptt during tune. I am using the OC6 accessory on the db-9 pin #3 open collector. Everything works good. I can also select which bands the ptt function will be allowed on, an added plus. This is set up on the “setup form” page with the open collector listing. Next I will need to look at the “4 x 3” split checkbox because that splits the open collectors up by vfo a or b selection and since I used the last open collector for this ptt function it does not need to be affected by the split function which will no longer be 4 x 3 but now 4 x 2. I did look for the ability to program the main ptt out of the radio but it’s not possible, I believe it is a hard function in the radio besides I like the ability to disable ptt on certain bands. I will post a photo of this in the setup form later. If of value I could send code changes to Doug for review.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm

Nice Joe,

waiting for more info.

Mike
SV1JSO
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Mike,
Everything I tested so far looks good. But, I am trying to look into the "4 x 3" and "3 x 4" split checkbox choices and baffled at this point of how to take the OC-7 out of those options. It needs to stand alone and not be affected by VFO selections when one of those checkboxes come into play. As long as those "split" choices are not used all is good. I am attaching a photo of the screen. When I can I will look at this more. I definitely will use it as is now because I will never have a use for the OC split functions.

73's
Joe
WD5Y
Attachments
Screenshot (19).png
Screenshot (19).png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5438 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:41 am

What do OC outputs have anything to do with this issue?
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:21 am

From what I understand he modified Thetis and disabled the PTT out and enabled it with OC outputs. You may see the disabled PTT menu in Thetis configuration in the above screenshot.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 am

How does that meet your requirement, Mike? All you need is the disable PTT part.

In fact, why not just use an external switch? Or an external switch controlled by an OC output. Or an external switch controlled by a DDUtil macro button.
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 am

What Joe accomplished, and I was asking, is that the tune button is not enabling the PTT out.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 am

Scott, I read that you had contacted the programmer/owner of DDUtil and asked to add 60M to a PTT function - and he refused due to it being limited to 100W.... you might counter with the fact that it is limited to 100W ERP! That means for example if you run a vertical you can legally run 300W and still be less than 100W ERP - and it WILL take an external amp to accomplish this. Just a thought.

Gary
K9RX
Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 pm

I am not disabling the main radio ptt at all, it functions as it always has. I merely give the option to use the OC-7 as a ptt function. You can select by band for ptt and/or check the disable during tune checkbox which will not key the amp/device during tune on those bands selected. I had to provide the second checkbox corresponding by band to allow a memory after tune to remember the band that you want to disable the ptt function on. Again, from what I see you can not provide this function with the main radio ptt. For myself, I prefer the radio as independent as possible without relying on other software other than using in my case wavenode for my amp and tuner control. I just posted in case someone was interested, showing it is a possibility. To be honest someone with greater coding knowledge could more than likely provide a better solution. I agree with Mike that a feature like this would be of value for amps/devices controlled by ptt.

Thanks
Joe

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”