8k to SPE lead

G8VR

8k to SPE lead

Postby G8VR » Thu May 14, 2020 7:45 pm

All
I've been looking through the threads to try to find pinout data for a lead from the Anan to my SPE. The only thing I could find was a thread where a WB8 made a lead which worked. However, I emailed him to confirm and he was saying he'd had a lot of problems with it and no longer has an Anan. Can anyone help with this?

Currently I have a PTT lead from the Anan to the SPE and switch bands manually.

Many thanks in advance - Kerry G8VR
w-u-2-o

Re: 8k to SPE lead

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Disclaimer: I do not have an SPE amplifier.

You do not connect the SPE to the Apache hardware for CAT for band switching. You connect it to a PC serial port for PC CAT control as per the SPE manual. While this may seem strange to some, remember that the Apache box by itself is not a radio! Or at most 20% of the radio. 80% of the radio is really to be found in the software, i.e. PowerSDR or Thetis.

It's been a while since I've looked at the SPE manual, but if memory serves there's an RS-232 serial cable you have to build between the DB15 on the SPE and the COM port on the PC. If you don't have a COM port on the PC you need to add one, either a card or a USB-to-serial adapter.

Once you have that done, then it's a simple matter of setting the COM port parameters on the amp, and the COM port parameters in Setup > CAT Control > CAT (or CAT+).
G8VR

Re: 8k to SPE lead

Postby G8VR » Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Many thanks, that's very helpful. I wish I'd asked this before!

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”