SDR Angelia and PA Hilberling HPA-8000B

qst

SDR Angelia and PA Hilberling HPA-8000B

Postby qst » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:34 am

I have SDR Angelia + BPF -out 500mW. How to connect my SDR to Hilbeling HPA-8000B? PA needs a cable connection with CAT. Will without CAT will switch the bandwidth, ptt?
Slawomir
DSC01470 copy.jpg
DSC01470 copy.jpg (228.42 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
w-u-2-o

Re: SDR Angelia and PA Hilberling HPA-8000B

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:53 am

Slawomir,

I do not have an HPA-8000B. Indeed, I doubt anyone has a Hilberling amplifier except you! They look amazing. And amazingly expensive!

However, a quick look in the HPA-8000B and Apache manuals shows everything needed to understand how to connect to this amplifier...

PTT wiring: Angelia J16 Pin 25 to an HPA-8000B PTT input (there are many choices on the Hilberling, choose the one that works best for you). Angelia J16 Pin 2 is ground.

CAT wiring: wire your PC serial port to HPA-8000B J3. You need to support J3 pins 12, 13 and 24. Surely you can look up the pinout of a standard PC serial port to figure out which signal goes where.

CAT software setup: recommend you set both the amp and PowerSDR to Kenwood protocol (in PowerSDR Setup > CAT Control > CAT or CAT+ (it makes no difference, all four connections are identical). Select the correct COM port and port parameters. Set PowerSDR to "ID as Kenwood".

Operating manuals are your friends. I recommend you print them out and put them in a binder for easy reference.

By the way, I see the Hilberling also has a coupler output for PureSignal. If you add an RF switch that routes the coupler output to Angelia RX1 input on TX you will be able to run PureSignal linearization quite easily.

73!

Scott

P.S. FANTASTIC job on your radio, it looks wonderful!
qst

Postby qst » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Slawomir,

I do not have an HPA-8000B. Indeed, I doubt anyone has a Hilberling amplifier except you! They look amazing. And amazingly expensive!

However, a quick look in the HPA-8000B and Apache manuals shows everything needed to understand how to connect to this amplifier...

PTT wiring: Angelia J16 Pin 25 to an HPA-8000B PTT input (there are many choices on the Hilberling, choose the one that works best for you). Angelia J16 Pin 2 is ground.

CAT wiring: wire your PC serial port to HPA-8000B J3. You need to support J3 pins 12, 13 and 24. Surely you can look up the pinout of a standard PC serial port to figure out which signal goes where.

CAT software setup: recommend you set both the amp and PowerSDR to Kenwood protocol (in PowerSDR Setup > CAT Control > CAT or CAT+ (it makes no difference, all four connections are identical). Select the correct COM port and port parameters. Set PowerSDR to "ID as Kenwood".

Operating manuals are your friends. I recommend you print them out and put them in a binder for easy reference.

By the way, I see the Hilberling also has a coupler output for PureSignal. If you add an RF switch that routes the coupler output to Angelia RX1 input on TX you will be able to run PureSignal linearization quite easily.

73!

Scott

P.S. FANTASTIC job on your radio, it looks wonderful!

Ho Scott,
Thank you very much for the info and nice words. I already know what to do. I do not have a serial port in my computer and I need to buy a card with an RS232 port. SDR Angela works very well. The good news is that there is no CUSDR to transmit because it will be very promising. Happy birthday to Wroclaw.
Slawomir SP6DLO
k2ue

Postby k2ue » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:21 pm

The USB-to-Serial Port adapters using the FTDI chipset work very well with ham gear and apps, and are more convenient that adding a card. You can find them with 1, 2 or 4 serial ports from a single USB port.

Return to “Amplifiers & Tuners”