cmASIO feature in Thetis

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
StefanoAlvaro

Re: cmASIO feature in Thetis

Postby StefanoAlvaro » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:04 am

W4WMT wrote:
StefanoAlvaro wrote:Could it be that the cmASIO functionality only works with protocol2?

Hi OM,

Yes, that is correct, cmASIO is not supported by protocol_1.
I'll have to check why the icon is still green using protocol 1 (I thought we tested that).
As far as not being able to run protocol_2 on your MKIII, have you checked out all of Rick's N1GP firmware builds for that FPGA? He has quite a few, you might get lucky!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I imagined it was like this because with the same procedure on the p2 everything worked immediately.. Patience.
Regarding the fw there is nothing yet for my 5CEFA, only one works well at the beginning (21.7) but after a few minutes of TX it starts to give problems, regardless of the temperature.

Is there a possibility of operation in the future with the p1 and cmASIO?
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:54 am

StefanoAlvaro wrote:Thanks Bryan, I imagined it was like this because with the same procedure on the p2 everything worked immediately.. Patience.
Regarding the fw there is nothing yet for my 5CEFA, only one works well at the beginning (21.7) but after a few minutes of TX it starts to give problems, regardless of the temperature.

Is there a possibility of operation in the future with the p1 and cmASIO?

Too bad about your 5CEFA rig. Mine is the same, none of the available firmware builds will run correctly. I keep hoping Rick will have another brainstorm :-)

Due to the single-threaded nature of protocol_1, it will never be able to support the high-performance requirements of cmASIO.

Bryan
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Bryan: why can't cmASIO follow the buffer size set by the device driver?

The ChannelMaster native audio buffer size is 64 sample frames, it's hard-coded that way from stem to stern, with no provisions to change. So, the expectation is that the hardware ASIO device driver for the host sound interface will conform to 64 samples to mesh with ChannelMaster.

AFAIK, the only ASIO driver that doesn't automatically comply with this is the Voicemeeter driver, which is a virtual driver, not a hardware driver. Due to performance issues, cmASIO does not support virtual ASIO drivers. YMMV,
Bryan
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 am

And yet it works fine with Voicemeeter. What performance issues?
Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 am

First I would like to say thank you to Riche and Bryan for all your hard work. Thank you also to every one who have tested and figured this all out. No small number of us have benefited from your knowledge. As an example, I went in and easily configured it, and it worked correctly the first time and I am very delighted.
Now to my question, is it possible to use Pure Signal with cmASIO? The “Feedback” and “Pure Signal2” bars have stayed grayed out since I enable cmASIO.

Thank you for you help. Dan KM6CQ
Attachments
ps.JPG
ps.JPG (85.36 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:40 am

Hi Dan,

Pure Signal works fine with cmAsiO, no differently than it does when using the microphone socket on the Anan.
Are you sure that the PS-A control is engaged in the Thetis console?

Bryan W4WMT
Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:44 am

Unbelievable Bryan, it was right in front of me and how long have I been using PS? uhggggg Sorry to bother you.
These are my two favorite features in Thetis.

Thanks, Dan
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:21 am

If I want to use cmASIO as an 'analog-to-digital' bridge for my rack audio gear. What settings need to be altered in Thetis to make sure no additional audio signal processing is occurring? The settings below were suggested by w-u-2-o to disable processing when plugged directly into the anan via 'mic/line in' with my analog signal. Thanks!

1. COMP, VOX, downward expander (DE) and transmit EQ (TX EQ) via the buttons on the main UI.
2. Everything on the Setup > DSP > CFC page.
3. The leveler on the Setup > DSP > AGC/ALC page, and also set ALC max. gain to 0dB.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 am

It's the same list no matter what input is selected: mic, line, VAC, cmASIO.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:13 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:It's the same list no matter what input is selected: mic, line, VAC, cmASIO.

Got it. Thanks again!

Clif
KI5RLR
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:39 pm

I'm using Protocol v2 with 7000DLE MK2.
My pc is a laptop with an Realtek audio chip onboard.
There is no ASIO driver on the laptop.
So I searched and found an Realtek ASIO driver on the Dell website.
The Realtek ASIO driver can be configured via the Voicemeeter System settings/ Options page, when the Realtek ASIO driver is selected as A1 Hardware OUT at the main screen.
When you are at the System settings / Options page, you can select the high-lighted 'ASIO: Realtek ASIO' at OUT A1 Main Device and a Realtek ASIO Control Panel is popping-up. Here you can set the delay (buffer) to minumum of 2ms. The Sample rate is set at 48000Hz and the buffer is set to 160. Also voicemeter is showing these values.
The smal program 'hostsample.exe' , gives the same info about Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO. 48000 sampleRate and 160 ASIOGetBufferSize.

In Regedit is Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO set as ASIOdrivername.

And unfortunate, Thetis is not giving a green cmASIO but red. This has probebly to do with the to high latency :(
The Realtek ASIO driver can't go lower to 64 clocks......

Unless I buy an external USB sound device that supports ASIO latency as low as 64 clocks, I guess ASIO audio with cmASIO will be unpossible.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:07 am

Hi Chiron,

There's no need to run Voicemeeter in your case, so long as the Realtek ASIO driver can meet the basic requirements of cmASIO. Take a look at the cmASIO guide in the Windows start menu under OpenHPSDR and begin there. If you don't know the precise name of the Realtek ASIO driver, you can download the hostsample.exe utility (linked in the guide) and post the results here for assistance.

Bryan W4WMT
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:29 am

W4WMT wrote:Hi Chiron,

There's no need to run Voicemeeter in your case, so long as the Realtek ASIO driver can meet the basic requirements of cmASIO. Take a look at the cmASIO guide in the Windows start menu under OpenHPSDR and begin there. If you don't know the precise name of the Realtek ASIO driver, you can download the hostsample.exe utility (linked in the guide) and post the results here for assistance.

Bryan W4WMT

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for your quick response.
Yes I know that Voicemeeter is not needed. But there are 2 reasens for me to use Voicemeeter.
1. The only way that I know to get into the Realtek ASIO driver configuration, is via Voicemeeter. There is probbably another way, but not known by me.
2. I use Voicemeeter to transport also some audio over Network via VBAN of Voicemeeter. So I already used it, and are able to set the latency/delay to the lowest alowable value of the Realtek ASIO driver.

Unfortunately, seems the Realtek chip limited due to too high minimum alloweable buffer size. And can not meet the basic requirements of cmASIO.
If you think that the limitation is the ASIO driver and not the audio chip, I would love to have the better ASIO driver.

Chiron PA3GHM
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:01 am

Chiron wrote:Unfortunately, seems the Realtek chip limited due to too high minimum alloweable buffer size. And can not meet the basic requirements of cmASIO.

You will not know that for sure, until you run hostsample.exe to get hard results from the actual Realtek ASIO driver on your machine.
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:28 pm

W4WMT wrote:
Chiron wrote:Unfortunately, seems the Realtek chip limited due to too high minimum alloweable buffer size. And can not meet the basic requirements of cmASIO.

You will not know that for sure, until you run hostsample.exe to get hard results from the actual Realtek ASIO driver on your machine.

Hello Bryan
You probably mist it, but i mentioned in my first reply:
The smal program 'hostsample.exe' , gives the same info about Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO. 48000 sampleRate and 160 ASIOGetBufferSize.

Yes i did use hostsample.exe . The program concluded as mentioned that the lowest ASIO BufferSize is 160.

Yesterday i found a used UPHORIA UMC202HD. I hope to receive it this week. Then i can test cmASIO.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:33 pm

I think you will like the Behringer results much better.
James
WD5GWY
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:40 pm

Trucker wrote:I think you will like the Behringer results much better.
James
WD5GWY

Hello James,

I just received the UMC202HD
This setup with UMC works good in combination with Thetis and cmASIO.

cmASIO icon in Thetis is green, and PureSignal works, VAC1 and VAC2 are not used.

I only need to start tuning the Block size in the registry to see how low I can go.

PA3GHM
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Chiron wrote:I only need to start tuning the Block size in the registry to see how low I can go.

Each block is only worth 1.3 ms.
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:28 pm

Presonus Studio 26c and Voicemeeter Potato work really well together.
Jay N2GQ
vk6cpu

Postby vk6cpu » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:05 am

Would it be possible to update the CMASIO Guide and list the basic pre-requisites to be able to use this feature.

Namely your ASIO driver must be capbale of running with a buffer size of 64 (bits or bytes?).

YOu can see whether your ASIO drivers meet this requirement by running the hostsample.exe which lists the parameters of the various drivers. EG

ASIO driver: [0] = Realtek ASIO
asioVersion: 2
driverVersion: 3
Name: [Realtek ASIO]
ErrorMessage: No ASIO Driver Error
ASIOGetChannels (inputs: 2, outputs: 2);
ASIOGetBufferSize (min: 1024, max: 1024, preferred: 1024, granularity: 0);
ASIOGetSampleRate (sampleRate: 0.000000);

ASIO driver: [1] = RODE AI-1 ASIO
asioVersion: 2
driverVersion: 1
Name: [RODE AI-1 ASIO]
ErrorMessage: No ASIO Driver Error
ASIOGetChannels (inputs: 2, outputs: 2);
ASIOGetBufferSize (min: 64, max: 2048, preferred: 128, granularity: -1);
ASIOGetSampleRate (sampleRate: 48000.000000);

IF using via VOICEMEETER the Output CHannel must also be capablle of running with a 64 Bit Buffer.

This info upfront could save some users a workd of pain and dredging thru this 8 page thread.

Thanks for the work BTW.
All the best
Nigel
VK6CPU

Anan 8000 DLE, Thetis v2.9.0.8, Protocol 2 V2 1.18
INTEL i9 12900 64.0 GB Ram
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am

vk6cpu wrote:Would it be possible to update the CMASIO Guide and list the basic pre-requisites to be able to use this feature.
Namely your ASIO driver must be capbale of running with a buffer size of 64 (bits or bytes?).

The basic prerequisites (there's only three) are at the bottom of the sheet.
Chiron

Postby Chiron » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 pm

I'm using cmASIO now for a week with the use of VOX. It works realy perfect.

The tx to rx switching is high speed. When there is a small pause in my talking, you can hear if there is some other activity on the frequency. For example when doubling with another station.

This is a nice achievement for an SDR. My compliments to the involved team.
It was worth the investment of the Beahringer UMC202HD.

Regards,
Chiron

Chiron wrote:
Trucker wrote:I think you will like the Behringer results much better.
James
WD5GWY

Hello James,

I just received the UMC202HD
This setup with UMC works good in combination with Thetis and cmASIO.

cmASIO icon in Thetis is green, and PureSignal works, VAC1 and VAC2 are not used.

I only need to start tuning the Block size in the registry to see how low I can go.

PA3GHM
Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:54 am

Thank you Riche and Brain for cmASIO.
It is working very well on the 7000DLE MKII.
I use a Hermes Lite 2+ frequently to keep hours off the Anan.
The HL2 is protocol 1 only. At this time I simply got to regedit and change one character on the "ASIOdrivername" file. This prevents Thetis from seeing it when using the HL2. It looks like this "dASIOdrivername" d is for disabled. Then I have access to the UMC204HD. (UMC ASIO Driver)
When I run the Anan I change it back, unless I want the UMC ASIO Driver available for VAC 1.
So I had to tell you all that just to tell you this, it would be very handy to have a Enable/Disable button in Thetis.
I think this would benefit those using Thetis for Anan and Hermes lite 2.
Thank you for your consideration, I appreciate everything the both of you do. Excellent work.

Best regards, Dan KM6CQ
gw0hyu

Postby gw0hyu » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:22 pm

GW4NNO wrote:Thanks very much for that info Bryan. Not good from my point of view though. Think I'll stick as I am with cables hard wired from my interface to the line in and speakers out on the Anan.

Terry. GW4NNO

Hi Terry,

Have you explored setting Thetis to use Windows WASPI driver with your RME UFX ( I also have the UFX Mk 3) . You need to turn on Software Looback in RME TotalMix for your chosen hardware output channel and then you will see that channel (analogue or DAT) opton in Thetis VAC input / output drop down box.

Then fade up which ever RME hardware input , or if using a DAW a software playback channel (I use Reaper) and bingo you will be routing your physical hardware output to ethernet , latency is virtually (pun intended) nonexistent and audio quality (IMHO) cannot be surpassed!

Keith

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”