cmASIO feature in Thetis

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
oe3ide

Re: cmASIO feature in Thetis 2.10.3.5 pre 3

Postby oe3ide » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:32 pm

rbduck wrote:
oe3ide wrote:
rbduck wrote:
I am not seeing this. cmASIO seems to be working. I have it set up to deliver Thetis sound directly to the sound card via cmASIO. I am also using pre-release 5.

It's on the right side between CAT-Status icon and utc-clock.

OK, maybe I have something configured incorrectly. Hare are a couple of captures that might tell a story. My intention with the cmASIO feature is to send Thetis sound directly to the sound card which it seems to be doing. capture.pngcapture2.png

You want to correct your registry entry ;-)
The key has to be "ASIOdrivername"....

hd7aUAJ91W.png
hd7aUAJ91W.png (21.56 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:17 pm

oe3ide wrote:
rbduck wrote:
oe3ide wrote:
It's on the right side between CAT-Status icon and utc-clock.

OK, maybe I have something configured incorrectly. Hare are a couple of captures that might tell a story. My intention with the cmASIO feature is to send Thetis sound directly to the sound card which it seems to be doing. capture.pngcapture2.png

You want to correct your registry entry ;-)
The key has to be "ASIOdrivername"....

hd7aUAJ91W.png

O my I'm embarrassed. :oops: That was so obvious. I knew that. I'll blame it on age. Yea. I'll blame it on age. That did the trick :D

Thanks Ernst!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
m0cke

Postby m0cke » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:47 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper around the standard WDM driver and will create more latency than the WDM driver by itself. It's kind of a joke.

This is where Voicemeeter can be useful. It will allow an ASIO connection via its virtual ASIO drivers. Then you can route through Voicemeeter to any sound app or device.

Would be great if Voicemeeter worked, I have 1 PC and 2 laptops, none of which Voicemeeter ASIO works with cmASIO for me

Jim M0CKE
m0cke

Postby m0cke » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:56 pm

m0cke wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper around the standard WDM driver and will create more latency than the WDM driver by itself. It's kind of a joke.

This is where Voicemeeter can be useful. It will allow an ASIO connection via its virtual ASIO drivers. Then you can route through Voicemeeter to any sound app or device.

Would be great if Voicemeeter worked, I have 1 PC and 2 laptops, none of which Voicemeeter ASIO works with cmASIO for me

Jim M0CKE

Well I dont believe it, I have it working,
So I've set the output of VoiceMeeter to the M-Audio M-Track Solo ASIO 48khz 64
Changed the Registry entry to Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO
Started Thetis and I got a green cm speaker !!

Audio is now routed via Voicemeeter to the M-Audio and the internal sound card !!

Wicked!!!

Would still like to see if Bryan can make the M-Audio ASIO work directlyu without the need for Voicemeeter.

Jim M0CKE
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:48 pm

I suspected that would work if you tried it cuz it worked for Scott and myself.

Glad you got it working.

Mark
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:53 pm

m0cke wrote:
m0cke wrote:

Jim M0CKE

Audio is now routed via Voicemeeter to the M-Audio and the internal sound card !!

Wicked!!!

Would still like to see if Bryan can make the M-Audio ASIO work directlyu without the need for Voicemeeter.

Jim M0CKE

Jim, are you having to enable VAC1 to get audio?

I ask the question because I have mine set up similar. I have a green cmASIO indicator. I have the registry entry of "(Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO".
I have Thetis Setup>Vac 1 input and output set to "UMC ASIO Driver" and Voicemeeter Hardware output at A1 set to "UMC ASIO Driver".

I have audio but only if I enable VAC1. Someone said in an earlier thread that this should bypass Voicemeeter thus nulling the need to Activate VAC1. Maybe the earlier note was talking about something different. Are you having to activate VAC1 to obtain audio?
Ruben
NB4R
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 pm

You should not need VAC activated to get sound . Is the master AF turned up in Thetis ?
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:33 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:You should not need VAC activated to get sound . Is the master AF turned up in Thetis ?

Yes.

Maybe this helps?
Attachments
Registry.png
Registry.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
Voicemeeter.png
Voicemeeter.png (213.89 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
setup.png
setup.png (15.98 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
Ruben
NB4R
m0cke

Postby m0cke » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:08 pm

rbduck wrote:
m0cke wrote:
m0cke wrote:

Jim M0CKE

Wicked!!!

Jim M0CKE

Jim, are you having to enable VAC1 to get audio?

I ask the question because I have mine set up similar. I have a green cmASIO indicator. I have the registry entry of "(Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO".
I have Thetis Setup>Vac 1 input and output set to "UMC ASIO Driver" and Voicemeeter Hardware output at A1 set to "UMC ASIO Driver".

I have audio but only if I enable VAC1. Someone said in an earlier thread that this should bypass Voicemeeter thus nulling the need to Activate VAC1. Maybe the earlier note was talking about something different. Are you having to activate VAC1 to obtain audio?

Hi, No both VAC are off and not needed

I'm using VoiceMeeter, the most basic of them, I only got it to work once I set the output of Voicemeeter to a hardware ASIO device driver with the output set to 48kHz and Buffer of 64

VoiceMeeter.png
VoiceMeeter.png (177.43 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

M-Audio Streaming.png
M-Audio Streaming.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

vac1.png
vac1.png (55.95 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

vac2.png
vac2.png (49.23 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

thetis 3.png
thetis 3.png (330.19 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:11 pm

rbduck wrote:
Tony EI7BMB wrote:You should not need VAC activated to get sound . Is the master AF turned up in Thetis ?

Yes.

Maybe this helps?

Shutdown Voicemeeter (Menu=>Shutdown Voicemeeter) and restart Thetis (disable VAC)
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:42 pm

I have been following this thread and find I am not sure what is needed to use this ASIO improvement. Would this be the proper device to use?

Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD USB Audio Interface

It's $98 on Amazon. I have a Behringern 8500 balanced microphone as well as the correct cable. Plus, I have a set of Tannoy Powered Studio Monitors that have two balanced inputs. ( XLR & TRS) plus an unbalanced input as well.
I am assuming I would connect my microphone to the Behringer balanced microphone input and the Studio monitors to the balanced outputs ( left and right channels) . Is that correct?
And as I understand it, I would need to use Voicemeeter Banana to interface everything between Thetis and the USB audio interface.
Anyway, I know this is old hat for most of you. But, it would be new territory for me.
James
WD5GWY
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:49 pm

oe3ide wrote:
rbduck wrote:

Yes.

Maybe this helps?

Shutdown Voicemeeter (Menu=>Shutdown Voicemeeter) and restart Thetis (disable VAC)

I shut down Voicemeeter as described. I closed Thetis thus shutting it down.
When I restart Thetis I hear sound with only VAC1 enabled. I checked Task Manager to verify Voicemeeter was closed. I agree I should be hearing sound without VAC1 enabled which has me scratching my head. I've checked spelling and blank spaces. I also have a red CM speaker indication"

I don't quite understand how having the registry string "ASIOdrivername" set to "Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO" is directing the audio to "UMC ASIO DRIVER." ?? :roll:
Ruben
NB4R
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:02 pm

rbduck wrote:
oe3ide wrote:
rbduck wrote:
Yes.

Maybe this helps?

I shut down Voicemeeter as described. I closed Thetis thus shutting it down.
When I restart Thetis I hear sound with only VAC1 enabled. I checked Task Manager to verify Voicemeeter was closed. I agree I should be hearing sound without VAC1 enabled which has me scratching my head. I've checked spelling and blank spaces. I also have a red CM speaker indication"

I don't quite understand how having the registry string "ASIOdrivername" set to "Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO" is directing the audio to "UMC ASIO DRIVER." ?? :roll:

Ok, what exactly do you want? Do you want use cmAsio WITH voicemeeter or cmAsio direct with your sound interface (UMC)?

Afaik if you configure voicemeeter for the UMC audio interface you cannot use it parallel with Thetis.

Option A) Using Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO:
Registry: "ASIOdrivername" must be "Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO" (which is B1 in voicemeeer)
In Voicemeeter you set UMC as your main device
In UMC settings: 64 buffersize, 48khz samplerate

Option B) Using UMC Asio for Thetis
Voicemeeter must be closed (or set to an other audio interface)
Registry: "ASIOdrivername" => "UMC ASIO Driver"
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:10 pm

rbduck wrote:
Yes.

Maybe this helps?
Ruben--you show VAC turned on and running direct to the sound interface. That means you are not using cmASIO exclusively and are effectively bypassing Voicemeeter. If you want to test cmASIO, disable VAC.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:15 pm

Trucker wrote:I have been following this thread and find I am not sure what is needed to use this ASIO improvement. Would this be the proper device to use?

Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD USB Audio Interface

It's $98 on Amazon. I have a Behringern 8500 balanced microphone as well as the correct cable. Plus, I have a set of Tannoy Powered Studio Monitors that have two balanced inputs. ( XLR & TRS) plus an unbalanced input as well.
I am assuming I would connect my microphone to the Behringer balanced microphone input and the Studio monitors to the balanced outputs ( left and right channels) . Is that correct?
And as I understand it, I would need to use Voicemeeter Banana to interface everything between Thetis and the USB audio interface.
Anyway, I know this is old hat for most of you. But, it would be new territory for me.
James
WD5GWY

James--that would be a fabulous setup and you will love the results you get with it. I'm not a big fan of the 8500 but that's a different story ;)

You made only one mistake: you do NOT need to put Voicemeeter in between the UMC202 and Thetis cmASIO. You can if you wish, but it is by no means necessary, and I'd recommend starting without Voicemeeter and going direct to the UMC before adding that additional layer of complexity that you probably don't need.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:47 pm

Ok, what exactly do you want? Do you want use cmAsio WITH voicemeeter or cmAsio direct with your sound interface ; I eventually want to know both. Right now I would rather set it set up to work with Voicemeeter since I'm using VM tp access my microphone

Option A) Using Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO;
Registry: "ASIOdrivername" must be "Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO" (which is B1 in voicemeeer)
In Voicemeeter you set UMC as your main device
In UMC settings: 64 buffersize, 48khz samplerate

I first set it up for option A. Like this there was audio from Thetis without Voicemeeter. It only worked with VAC1 enabled and there was a RED cmASIO indicator indicating it did not load. With VAC1 disabled, there was no audio with RX1 AF or Master AF increased.

I will test using option B and report back tomorrow

Option B) Using UMC Asio for Thetis
Voicemeeter must be closed (or set to an other audio interface)
Registry: "ASIOdrivername" => "UMC ASIO Driver"

As usual I expect to find one item set incorrectly. or something missing. Thank you for your patience and assistance
Last edited by rbduck on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:56 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
Trucker wrote: James--that would be a fabulous setup and you will love the results you get with it. I'm not a big fan of the 8500 but that's a different story ;)

You made only one mistake: you do NOT need to put Voicemeeter in between the UMC202 and Thetis cmASIO. You can if you wish, but it is by no means necessary, and I'd recommend starting without Voicemeeter and going direct to the UMC before adding that additional layer of complexity that you probably don't need.

Scott, I feel what you said might fit in my case as well. I have the same soundcard, If I could go direct to the UMC and use the Mic without voicemeeter I would be satisfied for now. I could change it later if needed. Thanks for the tips.
Ruben
NB4R
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:47 am

m0cke wrote:Well I dont believe it, I have it working,

Hi Jim,
Glad you got it working!
I can't get the M-Audio M-Track Solo to work either, so it's not just you :-)
The M-Audio's ASIO driver will not let cmASIO load it. No ideas yet as to why.
This is the first driver I've run into that behaves like this. I will try to find out why though.
In the meantime, other users might well be advised to steer clear of the M-Audio device.
Bryan

UPDATE: The workaround for this driver (which has an illegal driver name for some crazy reason) is to enter the following in the ASIOdrivername registry key value:

M-Audio M-Track Solo and Duo...

Note the trailing ellipsis after the word "Duo", that must be included!
Last edited by W4WMT on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:23 am

Bryan,

Any progress on having cmASIO automatically match the buffer size of the ASIO device? The device settings should drive the train, not the other way around.

Thanks,

Scott
m0cke

Postby m0cke » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:14 pm

W4WMT wrote:
m0cke wrote:Well I dont believe it, I have it working,

Hi Jim,
Glad you got it working!
I can't get the M-Audio M-Track Solo to work either, so it's not just you :-)
The M-Audio's ASIO driver will not let cmASIO load it. No ideas yet as to why.
This is the first driver I've run into that behaves like this. I will try to find out why though.
In the meantime, other users might well be advised to steer clear of the M-Audio device.
Bryan

UPDATE: The workaround for this driver (which has an illegal driver name for some crazy reason) is to enter the following in the ASIOdrivername registry key value:

M-Audio M-Track Solo and Duo...

Note the trailing ellipsis after the word "Duo", that must be included!

Hi Bryan

Great work !!

Intersting this name doesn't show up in the hostsample output!

Changed to your findings and working FB here

Jim M0CKE
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:04 pm

I use the UMC202HD and it works fine with cmASIO on input channel 1. Is there anyway to switch to channel 2 on he 202HD using cmASIO in order to select a different microphone without having to use VoiceMeter?

Thanks,

Joe, W4WT
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:58 pm

Joe-W4WT wrote:I use the UMC202HD and it works fine with cmASIO on input channel 1. Is there anyway to switch to channel 2 on he 202HD using cmASIO in order to select a different microphone without having to use VoiceMeter?

Hi Joe,

Yes, cmASIO picks up both input channels on the 202, just plug in the mic and turn up the gain.
Just make sure to have the line/inst button and the pad button on input-2 set the same as input-1.
Bryan
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:10 pm

Thanks Bryan. Just tried it and it indeed picks up both channels. Minor issue in having to turn down the gain or unplug the channel not in use. Turning down the gain means having to reset it with the Mic meter when switching back unless you unplug it but better than nothing!

Would be really nice to have a toggle maybe on the cmAsio Icon or a right click menu to pop up on the Icon to select a particular channel and not have to change settings or unplug anything. Perhaps something for the future?

Thanks again for this nice new feature to our software! Great work.

Joe, W4WT
Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:01 pm

I just wanted to mention how much this feature is appreciated. I had a bit of trouble getting the Driver name recognized or so I thought. I am running an Apollo Solo Thunderbolt and the driver was not recognized when I searched using the "hostsample" app. I figured well just enter what is listed in the "vac" driver window in setup. This worked without a hitch, came right up. I also have entered values in the "ASIOblocknum" addition, all works great. I take it that to enable the "Lockmode" a value of FFFF0001 would suffice? Anyway, thanks very much for the updates and additions.

73's and Merry Christmas,
Joe
WD5Y
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:29 am

Hi Joe,

Yes, that's a valid entry for the registry key value. You might want to first try ffff0006 just to get your feet wet using blockMode. That way, you're not being too ambitious with the receive audio stream at the same time that you're trying to push the transmit audio stream. Once you see that your computer can handle blockMode, and your transmit audio is fine, then you can push the envelope on the receive audio stream too.

BTW, the anomaly you were having with your driver name and the hostsample utility may have happened because I had uploaded an x86 (32-bit) version of hostsample, which pulls from the 'WOW6432' part of the registry. That was an unforced error on me. I have since uploaded the x64 version of hostsample (to the same link as before) which should give you more accurate info for your ASIO driver of choice.

Bryan
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:53 am

Thanks Bryan,
I really appreciate your help and work on this. I had the blockmode set up and made a contact on 75 earlier and had great reports. I will work with different settings when possible, could you give me some suggestions on values to try ? I am running a 14900k cpu, just stock settings. The cpu usage seems fairly low at this time.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
G3ZQH

Re: Thetis v2.10.3.5 final release

Postby G3ZQH » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:44 pm

VAC problem here with this new version on my 200D. I cannot access VAC with Thetis v2.10.3.5 but VAC works fine with the previous versions of Thetis (including 2.10.3.3). I can't use the cmASIO upgrade in 2.10.3.5 (no audio devices here). I use VAC for Phone operation and digimodes using Voicemeeter. Also tried Muzychenko VAC and this did not work either. I need VAC here for my 200D to function.

I'm no audio expert so I suspect a wrong setting has got into my audio chain accidently as a result of the cmASIO changes in Thetis. I have made sure that the cmASIO Registry changes have been disabled by putting in a false ASIO name. I have tried the usual re-boot of PC but no improvement.

I'd be interested to hear if others with older rigs (100D, 200D) also have a VAC problem with the latest Thetis or whether it is just me. Returned to Thetis v2.10.3.3 until this is resolved.

73 Dave G3ZQH

200D FW 1.90 P2 Thetis v2.10.3.5u1 Voicemeeter Potato
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:34 pm

G3ZQH wrote:I'm no audio expert so I suspect a wrong setting has got into my audio chain accidently as a result of the cmASIO changes in Thetis. I have made sure that the cmASIO Registry changes have been disabled by putting in a false ASIO name.

Hi Dave,

Just out of curiosity: please help me understand why you added the registry key value for cmASIO (ASIOdrivername) if you knew that you weren't going to be using cmASIO.

Thanks & 73,
Bryan
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:55 pm

Hi Bryan
Initially I didn't understand that cmASIO was intended for a specific audio device. I was hopeful that I could use it to bypass the intermittent VAC instability that I have here with my set up. I have Realtek ASIO drivers on my PC which can be linked in through Voicemeeter and VAC (this works fine).

I did try cmASIO using either Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO or Realtek ASIO (these both appeared in the ASIO driver list) but just received the "Issue starting cmASIO. Check driver name in registry". The names were correct in registry. I also made appropriate adjustments in Voicemeeter settings for buffering and using the Lnt32LSB ASIO. But still no action from cmASIO.

The cmASIO functionality is an excellent addition and I wish I could access it but probably not prepared to buy a new audio interface just for this. Basically, I just want something that works and provides stable audio for SSB and digimodes. I use key direct to rig for CW and would also use analogue for audio except that the input audio on my 200D has a problem with background noise (but that is another story...).

So, essentially I gave cmASIO a go then disabled it in case the registry setting was interfering with VAC to/from the radio.

73 Dave G3ZQH
Dave30019

Postby Dave30019 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:02 pm

No side tone in CW using CWX & 'SEMI' after Thetis and cmASIO upgrade. I do have sidetone if CW is set to QSK and also pressing TUN but not in SEMI mode.

I upgraded to final release 2.10.3.5 and tested SSB & digital modes, all ok. I'm using a Behringer UMC202-HD. I then configured cmASIO per instructions, I tested SSB, digital modes all work fine, I use VAC1 for Digital with no issues. I'm getting audio output from the UMC202-HD connected speakers and phones jack in both SSB & digital modes and CW in QSK and TUN.

I'm having a problem in CW. I use CWX for cw and I get NO side tone when CW is set to SEMI using the memories, I am transmitting but no side tone. I do get sidetone when I press the TUN button and in QSK mode, audio is coming out of the Behringer. MON & DUP are ON and sidetone is checked.
The memory and side tone were working before Thetis and cmASIO upgrade. I did not test CW after I upgraded Thetis only after I configured cmASIO.

Dave
k4em

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”