Steinberg UR22 in VST Host and THETIS "incompatible?"

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
JJ4SDR

Steinberg UR22 in VST Host and THETIS "incompatible?"

Postby JJ4SDR » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi,

I am liking VAC and the fact that I can plug my XLR mic cable straight into the Steinberg UR22 USB/Audio Interface. For PTT, I have plugged a hand-switch into the MIC port on the ANAN 7000 DLE MKII. I will "virtualize" the PTT function going forward as well, but for now, I just want to get radio working availing myself of the VAC feature.

Now, for some reason when the UR22 is detected by my VST Host (Live Professor 2) and THETIS (v2.8.11) no audio from the radio can be heard (MON engaged) at all. PTT works, but there is just no audio whatsoever. As soon as I deactivating the UR22 inside the VST Host (I had to restart the PC and THETIS after said deactivation ) and switch the radio back on and THETIS I can get audio from the radio without any issue.

I will want the above to work at some point as I want to experiment using VST plug-ins (this is something that I have done for several years now, albeit in a completely different operating environment) with my brand-new ANAN as well.

It appears that when the UR22 is being active inside both THETIS and the VST Host the radio won't produce any audio whatsoever.

Sure would appreciate pointers!

Best!
Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Re: Steinberg UR22 in VST Host and THETIS "incompatible?"

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:24 pm

I'm not familiar with Live Professor, but all of the DAW (digital audio workstation) software I've used will only allow a connection to a single device at a time. That means the DAW can connect to the UR22 or Thetis, but not both at the same time. I know this is the case in Reaper, Audiomulch, Pro Tools, Studio One, and Ardour. This is probably the basis of your problem.

The way to overcome this is to use Voicemeeter Potato as an intermediate mixing/routing device. Connect the UR22 as hardware input 1 and hardware output A1. Connect Thetis to one of three virtual channels, B1, B2 or B3. Use the ASIO drivers. Get all that working first. There are lots of Voicemeeter setup topics you can search on in the forum.

Once that is all working for both TX and RX, attach the DAW to Voicemeeter using the Voicemeeter "Virtual Insert IO" device in Live Professor. There's plenty of Youtube video on this. Loop your mic audio on channel 1 through the DAW like that and process with VST plug-in's to your heart's content.

Personally, I find three stages of compression (leveler, CFC and ALC), two stages of EQ (pre and post), the phase rotator, and the expander/gate that are all built into Thetis to be quite enough processing ;)
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:26 pm

Scott,

As always, I value your comments! From what I just heard Ableton Live actually can accommodate more than one instance of ASIO and that DAW is geared more toward live applications such as ours. Be that as it may, I will need to get my feet wet and learn how to walk first and then - eventually - to run later :D .

Agree, the audio molding tools within this platform are great. I will learn as I go and who knows that the future holds?

Best!
Juha
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:23 am

I don't think Live can do more than a single device at a time, either.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:17 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I don't think Live can do more than a single device at a time, either.

Scott,

I stand corrected. What I further learnt (I think…..) is that some USB/Audio interfaces (they are VERY expensive) actually have virtual mixing consoles/boards incorporated into them and enable you to route signals with much higher degree of flexibility. That said, this property would seem to be inherent in the USB/Audio interface hardware rather than the DAW. The up-side from what I have learnt with this type of USB/Audio interface hardware introduces very little latency as the virtual board is “native” to the hardware.

JJ
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:30 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I don't think Live can do more than a single device at a time, either.

This was just flagged to me. Haven’t tried it yet and don’t know what kind of latency we’re talking.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/pc-windo ... berg/20479
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:52 am

Juha,

You are chasing the wrong rainbows.

USB interfaces with built-in hardware mixing will not help you. The DAW is still the limiting factor. If you want VST processing that must be hosted by a DAW of some sort. All DAWs that I know of will only connect to a single ASIO interface at a time. Hence you have no way to get the audio from the mic, to the DAW, to Thetis, because the DAW only sees the mic interface.

Again, the solution to that is Voicemeeter.

Similarly, you are reading a 12 year old thread about Steinberg drivers that never went anywhere. Even if it still worked, assigning the same hardware interface to both the DAW and Thetis gets you nowhere. Mic to DAW, then DAW to...the mic interface, not Thetis. Still a no go.

And, for the third or fourth time, the solution to that is Voicemeeter. The Voicemeeter Insert ASIO virtual device, assigned to the DAW, let's Voicemeeter take care of the pesky routing problems that DAWs cannot accomplish.

Scott

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”