TIP: How to reduce ASIO latency on internal sound cards for better VAC operation

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
ea3aqr

TIP: How to reduce ASIO latency on internal sound cards for better VAC operation

Postby ea3aqr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm

15 days ago my Windows 10 forced an update from v.1903 to v.20H2 and the nightmare begun...

From a 100% rock solid system capable of runing VAC (through Sound Blaster ASIO drivers) at 3 ms In/ 4ms Out without over/underflows, the system became totally unstable below 40-50 ms.

It was the begining of a 14 days fight against my OS.

I've read hundreds of pages and documents and tested all the options/tweaks suggested:

-Reinstall/update audio, video and lan drivers
-Upgrade/downgrade BIOS
-Tweak BIOS settings
-Tweak registry entries
-Changed Line based to MSI, IRQs...
-Installed a fresh OS (including v.1903 that worked before)

But unfortunately nothing worked...

Today, suspecting it was a problem with my ASIO driver buffer size, I started digging into it and found a small application:

http://www.djdecks.be/asioconfig.exe

And I was right... Windows or any driver update set my ASIO driver buffer to 50ms. :shock: :o
Changed it back to 2ms using the app and Voila! 4/5 ms ring buffers solid system again.

This post is just to help people with Creative and Realtek's cards who can't reduce his RingBuffer to a comfortable low level.

PS: English is not my languaje so, moderators, feel free to edit my post to make it more understandable.
New call sign EA3CL
rbduck

Re: TIP: How to reduce ASIO latency on internal sound cards for better VAC operation

Postby rbduck » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 pm

ea3aqr wrote:15 days ago my Windows 10 forced an update from v.1903 to v.20H2 and the nightmare begun...

From a 100% rock solid system capable of runing VAC (through Sound Blaster ASIO drivers) at 3 ms In/ 4ms Out without over/underflows, the system became totally unstable below 40-50 ms.

I've read hundreds of pages and documents and tested all the options/tweaks suggested:

-Upgrade/downgrade BIOS
-Tweak BIOS settings
-Tweak registry entries

Today, suspecting it was a problem with my ASIO driver buffer size, I started digging into it and found a small application:

And I was right... Windows or any driver update set my ASIO driver buffer to 50ms. :shock: :o
Changed it back to 2ms using the app and Voila! 4/5 ms ring buffers solid system again.

This post is just to help people with Creative and Realtek's cards who can't reduce his RingBuffer to a comfortable low level.

PS: English is not my languaje so, moderators, feel free to edit my post to make it more understandable.

Thank you for the information. Now I have a question or two.

When I start the app I see a list of drivers. I double click each one. The only driver that gave me the option to change the timing
was the Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 card. It was already at 6ms and I reduced it to 2ms. No other driver gave me an option to change
the timing. The remaining drivers brought up a box that stated, "Completed. If no dialog box popped up your ASIO Driver is not installed properly." Is this correct or do I have a problem? Is the Creative card the only driver timing one you changed?

Forgive me, I'm am always on the alert for any information that I can use to reduce latency. My Ringbuffer timing set to 30ms in and out.
In the past I have been able to set them at 5ms and be stable. Changing the AE-9 timing to 2ms did not improve anything.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: TIP: How to reduce ASIO latency on internal sound cards for better VAC operation

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 pm

This only works with certain ASIO drivers.

It does not appear to work with VB Audio (Voicemeeter, VB Cable) or Presonus drivers.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:57 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:This only works with certain ASIO drivers.

It does not appear to work with VB Audio (Voicemeeter, VB Cable) or Presonus drivers.

Gotcha. Thanks!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:25 pm

rbduck wrote:
ea3aqr wrote:15 days ago my Windows 10 forced an update from v.1903 to v.20H2 and the nightmare begun...

-Upgrade/downgrade BIOS
-Tweak BIOS settings
-Tweak registry entries

Thank you for the information. Now I have a question or two.

When I start the app I see a list of drivers. I double click each one. The only driver that gave me the option to change the timing
was the Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 card. It was already at 6ms and I reduced it to 2ms. No other driver gave me an option to change
the timing. The remaining drivers brought up a box that stated, "Completed. If no dialog box popped up your ASIO Driver is not installed properly." Is this correct or do I have a problem? Is the Creative card the only driver timing one you changed?

Forgive me, I'm am always on the alert for any information that I can use to reduce latency. My Ringbuffer timing set to 30ms in and out.
In the past I have been able to set them at 5ms and be stable. Changing the AE-9 timing to 2ms did not improve anything.

Yes, I can only change one of my listed drivers the "Creative SB/SBX series ASIO".

Your ASIO driver was set at 6ms, mine was at 50ms and that's a huge difference in latency.
New call sign EA3CL
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:26 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:This only works with certain ASIO drivers.

I just can confirm that the APP works with Creative and Realtek's drivers, no other stuff to test with... :D
New call sign EA3CL

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”