Digital Mode Echo with MON function

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
AB5N

Re: 2nd RX has no antenna

Postby AB5N » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Scott-

Wow, re-installed 2.6.9 and it operated without echo for 5 minutes, and then started in on echoing with both FLdigi and WSJTX

Got to be a windows thing. Someone has seen this before!

Thanks for your help-
Bob-AB5N
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Bob , having mon on is your issue , there's some latency happening which causes the echo. I use voicemeeter here for audio routing and this will allow you to monitor without the audio going back into the TX path on your digital software if you wish. Having mon on for digital modes will mess up your TX unless I'm badly misinformed.
AB5N

Digital Mode Echo with MON function

Postby AB5N » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Greetings all-

OK, just a few days into it here. 7000DLE II. When I set it up at first with VAC1 and digital modes,
(Win 10) the MON function worked as is should. Then by the second QSO, the Mon ans TX audio had a echo which rendered
it NG. Without the MON on, the TX audio is fine going out. I reloaded the older 2.6.9 and it did the same thing.
(was on 2.7.0). I've tried every combination of settings on the setup screen and sound devices in Win 10.
Also tried every setting in FLdigi and WSJTX. May be a Windows sound device issue. (Mon audio goes back into VAC1 IN)
The amazingly odd thing is, if I click on the VAC 1 or VAC 2
buttons while in TX mode (with MON off), I can hear the outgoing signal audio!
Then go back into RX and then TX again and no monitor sound. Anomalies indeed!
VAC 2 might normally be a way to monitor locally, but it does not show up as a device in Windows device manager.

Some of you out there must be using Thetis successfully with FLdigi and WSJTX.
I like to hear my outgoing signal audio...is there any way?

Thanks-
Bob-AB5N
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Gents,

This should really be broken out as a separate topic. If nobody minds I will do just that.

You will only get echo with MON on when you use a single Muzy VAC cable, or if your routing in Voicemeeter is incorrect. Use two, separate VAC cables, on each for TX and RX, or use Voicemeeter, and this problem goes away.

If you can't get it to work, post screenshots of your setup (easily done by clicking in the attachments tab in the posting editor and uploading your files).

Scott
w-u-2-o

Re: Digital Mode Echo with MON function

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Moved from Thetis to the digital audio sub-forum since this is not a Thetis problem or issue...
AB5N

Postby AB5N » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 pm

Tony-

OK, excellent. I just downloaded Voicemeeter and will explore..... OK it worked! Yea!
This is an issue that most all users will encounter and this is a good fix..

Thanks

73's
Bob-AB5N
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Glad you got sorted out. Scott has an excellent tutorial on voicemeeter also worth a read to reduce latency etc.

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”