A few n00b questions

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
kc2rgw

A few n00b questions

Postby kc2rgw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm

First thanks to WU2O and W1AEX, just tons of great info/videos etc. really great, tipped me to pull the trigger and order an Anan.

My situation is, multiple mics, XLR switches, rack voice channels, all set up and working just nifty.

PC input path is a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, all set up and working perfectly.

My plan when the radio gets here (should be a week or so now) is to just do VAC with all audio in/out handled by the PC (I have the 7000 without the PC coming).

I also run Voicemeeter Banana, largely so I can take all the PC audio and run it through for an output EQ to my amp and speakers.

Am I understanding correctly that the only reason I would plumb the mic into Voicemeeter is if I wanted to side chain Mulch/Reaper/VST hosts etc into the path before it hits PowerSDR/Thetis? Right now my audio is already processed and I think I'd just select the mic input of the Focusrite and maybe polish it in PowerSDR without needing much else.

The part II here is that I run a lot of digital modes, PSK etc and I believe all I'll be doing is toggling the VAC inside PowerSDR to use maybe the virtual input/output from Voicemeeter when I go to run digital modes as opposed to the focusrite for the mic and speakers? fldigi basically using Voicemeeter or actual VAC accesory as the patch lines to connect to/from.

One other question, will a transmit profile store different VAC selections inside PowerSDR and Thetis? Could I have a "microphone" profile and a "digital mode" transmit profile that will toggle the VAC setup for me?

Pretty sure this is all on the mark, just tying up loose ends so I can get running when it arrives. Am I overlooking anything?

Just to be pedantic, the paths as they are now

Microphone -> outboard gear -> Focusrite Scarlett -> PC (I can pick that up via Voicemeeter or have apps use the Scarlett input directly)

PC audio out from apps -> Voicemeeter Banana -> Focusrite Scarlett -> mixer -> amp/speakers
Phrotus

Re: A few n00b questions

Postby Phrotus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Quick question for you.......when did you order your radio ?
Thanks, Tom W4TMW
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07 pm

I think it was the first week of May.
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:01 am

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a 7000 DLE ( w/o computer) about the 28th of April and haven't heard anything about it's status other than an acknowledgment of my order. I will probably inquire again at the end of this week.

Thanks again and 73, Tom W4TMW
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:18 am

Looks good to me. I use Voicemeeter as my patch panel between my PreSonus interface, Thetis, and digi mode software, for both transmit and receive audio paths. You should be all set.
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Ohh yeah that makes sense, easier level controls too for digi. Thanks.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes you can have different profiles for digital mic etc which is useful as DIGU mode will disable all the audio tools like CFC etc The band stack will also remember each profile per freq

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”