TX spikes caused by VAC?

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
G3NPI

TX spikes caused by VAC?

Postby G3NPI » Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

I am seeing random spikes when transmitting. They are visible on RX2 and are visible by other stations who are receiving me at about S9+10dB. They are radiating +/- 20 kHz from my frequency. By ticking "Limit Stitched Receivers" the spike occurance is much reduced. If I turn off VAC (actually Vince Burrell's VAC) the spikes do not occur. Unfortunately this is not a fix I want to use as during contests I use the VAC to interconnect with N1MM+.
It occurs running a watt into a dummy load, so I have discounted RF feedback.
I wonder if anybody has a work around for this problem?

ANAN 10 running HPSDR mRX PS v3.4.9

W10 with latest update on I7 machine.

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Re: TX spikes caused by VAC?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm

HI Geoff,

Did you follow the guidelines in this post:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2655

:?:

Scott

P.S. moved this thread to the VAC sub-forum.
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks Scott. Looks like I did not use the right search criteria !!
Away for a few days but have put it on my desk top to study on return.

Geoff G3NPI
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Its been a while. But I am still trying to stop the clitches on SSB when VAC1 is "on" but not passing audio. So far I have run dpclat.exe which after an hour or so says the PC is unsuitable to live stream audio.
Then updated the network driver, bought a new network board and changed driver. No change.
Then got a Nvidea 310 card and installed its drivers. No change
Then updated Realtek Audio driver to ASIO4ALL. No change.
The clitches only occur with VAC1 or VAC2 "on" so I am thinking its an Audio Card problem. As my Mic is plugged into the front of the ANAN10 I ideally do not want to go the external Audio Card route. I wonder if there is a recommended PC Audio Card which I could plug into a Pci slot?
Or is this something we are going to have to live with. It seems a nuber of people have a glitch problem in one form or another.

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Geoff,

I wouldn't think it is an audio card problem. The VAC connection between N1MM and PowerSDR (via Voicemeeter or VB-Cable?) does not touch your audio card in any way. Particularly if you are using VB-Cable, or have not selected a hardware audio interface in Voicemeeter Banana.

BTW, ASIO4ALL is a horrible kludge. I'd recommend you dispense with it. MME or WDM alone work better than ASIO4ALL, which is merely a junky ASIO wrapper around one of those protocols. You only need to use ASIO4ALL when you have software that only supports ASIO with hardware that does not, and this is certainly not an issue for you.

I realize that does not solve your problem, but I hope it at least continues to narrow things down.

Another way to rule out the audio card is to simply disable it. You don't need it to test this as long as you have all your voice keyer recordings already put into N1MM.

Also, while I am a HUGE fan of VB Audio, it is worth asking: have you tried the original Muzychenko VAC software instead? That way you could also rule out if it is the VB-Audio product.

Scott
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Thank you for your thoughts Scott. Always learn something from your notes and this time its saved me buying a sound card.

I will have to live with a narrow view of the band. Which is what I was trying to avoid. As a contester on VHF it is useful to "see" the whole band.

Perhaps the promised Protocal 2 will solve these sort of problems. Any feel for when that might happen?

Geoff
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 pm

All of my predictions for P2 beta have been wrong, Geoff, so I'm not making another! :D

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”