Behringer UMC Audio Control Panel Buffer Settings

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
Joe-W4WT

Behringer UMC Audio Control Panel Buffer Settings

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:30 am

Scott,

I am using the Behringer UMC202HD and its ASIO for VAC. What is the correct setting for the buffer settings in the UMC control panel? Should the buffer size be set to the VAC buffer size or the Primary buffer size? I assume it would be set to the VAC size but want to make sure.

Thanks for your help,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Re: Behringer UMC Audio Control Panel Buffer Settings

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm

The "correct setting" is any setting that achieves smooth, reliable audio at a level of latency you are willing to accept.

The "optimum setting" is the setting that achieves smooth, reliable audio at minimum latency.

The UMC202HD drives the train. I usually use OS performance with the UMC202HD as a rough guide, i.e. I attach some speakers to the UMC202HD (remember that those outputs are fully balanaced TRS--you may not have the right cables or speakers) or plug in some headphones, then select it as my PC's default audio device. Then I start trimming away at the UMC202HD buffer size and driver latency mode until audio from the PC (you can play a Youtube video, listen to music, etc.) starts to sound bad, then I back up one step.

Then follow the instructions in the release notes for PowerSDR 3.4.8 regarding setting buffer sizes with the new variable resampler. If that all doesn't quite work out, increase your UMC202HD buffer size by one step and start over. Sometimes Windows is a little more forgiving than PowerSDR.

Scott

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”