Voicemeter Banana xmit audio failure

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
K4KV

Voicemeter Banana xmit audio failure

Postby K4KV » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Hello,
I have never gotten the xmit audio to work with the Hermes/Alex/Munin II setup I have using VAC. Rx audio with VMB works fine.
So, Scott said I should uninstall, then reinstall VMB to fix 'why I was not seeing BOTH VMB Input and VMB Output' in the
VAC screen of PSDR.
Reinstall fixed that problem. Went through Scott's steps of setting up VMB and Windows for 48kb for all devices.
In WSJT-X, rx working, setting VMB Aux Input and Output.

In VMB screen, when WSJT is xmitting, seeing full audio from WSJT program in the Voicemeter Aux section of VMB screen.
The level slider in VMB changes the level fine.
No xmit audio to PSDR. I have selected Line In in the Transmit tab in PSDR. Just background noise, no matter what levels are
set for VAC1 xmit gain.

I do not know what to try next...
Glen K4KV
ps- the 7000DLE should be here today! So, I want to get this working on my currrent set up!
K4KV

Re: Voicemeter Banana xmit audio failure

Postby K4KV » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm

More information:
I do HAVE something hooked to Line In on the Hermes board. It is a usb sound card dongle. That is how I got
the xmit working before.
I selected Mic in Transmit tab of powersdr, and hit tune in WSJT-X and tapped the microphone, and, yes, it is HOT, even
with VAC1 selected! Went back to Line In for PSDR.

So, opened the control panel sound, and did a test with that usb dongle's speaker output, while in the tune selected in
WSJT-X program. And, yes, audio comes through to PSDR.

I would not think the Hermes knows that something is plugged into the Line In port????

So, is the Line In on Hermes somehow completely swamping the VAC audio in? Why would Line In even be connected
if using VAC???
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm

With VAC activated, Line In and Mic In are not utilized on TX UNLESS you have one of the override/bypass VAC for phone options checked in PSDR VAC setup. Make sure all of those are unchecked. If they are already unchecked and/or that doesn't fix it, please post screen shots of the following:

PSDR VAC setup window
WSJT-X audio settings
VMB window

Also, make sure your WSJT-X drive slider in WSJT-X is pushed to the top, just for testing.

Scott
K4KV

Postby K4KV » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Ok, worked with Mike W9MDB on the phone for almost an hour. We tried all kinds of things, nothing worked...

We then saw Scott's posting about the bypass boxes. Of course, they say they are for PHONE, so we discounted that
advice. After all, I was using DIGU and VAC1. I had the top bypass box checked. So, for grins, I unchecked it. The audio
started coming through.
So, apparently on the Hermes(Anan 100, etc) the Mic and Line In and all are all tied together or related.

Unchecking the MIC in PSDR does not automatically check the Line In (I think it should). I already know no provision
for a separate line in/out channel exists in the Hermes board.

Glen K4KV
ps - the 7000DLE just arrived
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:23 pm

This has nothing to do with Hermes. This is a PowerSDR specific behavior and therefore exhibits itself on ALL radios. Remember: 90% of your "radio" resides inside of PowerSDR. You know, "software defined radio" and all that sort of stuff ;) The actual box or board you bought is the minimum amount of pesky hardware necessary to make a radio.

The feature dates from the original, legacy Flex version of PowerSDR. The intent of it is to allow VAC to be used with a voice keyer, like N1MM+, in contests, but then allow an instant override to handle some situation that can't be handled by the voice keyer.

The code makes no distinction between what mode you are in, DIGU, USB, AM, etc.

I'd like to move this thread to the digital audio sub-forum. I can leave a shadow topic in place here in the PowerSDR forum.

Scott

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”