How to set up VAC2 with VMB and the UMC202HD

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
Joe-W4WT

How to set up VAC2 with VMB and the UMC202HD

Postby Joe-W4WT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Scott,

I have looked through the site and don't seem to be able to find anything specifically relating to the setup of VAC2 with VMB and the UMC202HD. I would like to get this operating as I switched to using all digital audio after installing the UMC202HD per your suggestion and have no problems as long as I don't try to use RX2. If I want to use it, I have to go back to internal Anan audio by plugging the headphones into the headphone jack on the radio. I also use this method on CW to get sidetone. I know there is a kludge to make this work but it is easier to just plug the headphones into the radio for CW.

In trying to get VAC2 to work along with VAC1, I discovered it isn't possible to use the ASIO driver for both. I can get VAC2 to work if I set it up exactly as VAC1 and turn VAC1 OFF but can't run both simultaneously.

I assume I need to use a different driver for VAC2; perhaps MME or something else so this is my question. What is the preferred way to get VAC1 and VAC2 operating together with the UMC202HD and VMB (assuming it is possible)?

Thanks,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Re: How to set up VAC2 with VMB and the UMC202HD

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Joe,

This is possible. Not even hard, really.

First, I'm sure you noted in my tutorial that you only get to use ASIO once. And if you didn't note that, you've certainly noticed it on your own. So you have to use something else for VAC2. I suggest starting with MME because it is more stable than WDM. Once you get it all going the way you like it, you can experiment with WDM for lower latency.

Second, assuming you've got VAC1 pointed at Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO, simply point VAC2 at the other VMB virtual channel, which when you select MME as the driver, appears as "Voicemeeter Aux Output..." and "Voicemeeter Aux Input..."

Third, again, to keep it simple and stable, initially use a VAC2 buffer of 2048 and buffer latency on auto. Same sample rate as VAC1, obviously. You can fool with shaving these down for better latency after you get it all working.

Fourth, simply route the Aux channel strip out to your output device. Assuming you have that on Hardware Out A1, just turn on the A1 button on the Aux channel strip, same as the VAIO channel strip. Now you have VAC2 audio routed to your speakers also.

There's a couple of gotcha's:

1) You can't use the VMB Aux channel to listen to VAC2 and route to something like Fldigi simultaneously (at least I haven't figured that out!)

2) Because of the different drivers, there will always be a slight latency difference when listening to the same thing on both VAC1 and VAC2. Try it, it's kind of interesting. Actually, what's even more interesting is seeing how much latency something like NR2 adds to receive. Turn it on for RX1 and leave it off for RX2 and listen to the same thing on both. Wow, what an echo!

73!

Scott
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:51 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info! Got it working with WDM with a buffer size of 256 and manual buffer latency at 3 (same as I use with ASIO on VAC1) and it works fine like that other than the delay difference you mentioned. I played with the buffer size on VAC1 and found if I set it to 512 and left VAC2 set to 256 I didn't notice any delay difference. I think this may work! Now if we could just get sidetone through VAC everything would be wonderful.

Thanks for the help,

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 am

Great news, Joe :D

Great idea to change the buffer size a little bit to equalize the delays, too! :)

73!

Scott

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”