Audio mixer

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
w9mdb

Audio mixer

Postby w9mdb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm wondering what the heck the audio mixer on Windows 10 does and it's interaction with PowerSDR.

I've got an ANAN 100, PowerSDR 3.4.2, and am using Virtual Audio Cable 4.15 from http://software. muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

For one thing, I see the Primary setup in PowerSDR shows 20dB gain on the audio from the ANAN. Why 20dB and can it (or should it) be changed? Since we have digital coming from the ANAN why do we need gain? Isn't the ANAN putting out 0dB level?

The default setup for the virtual software had "volume control" enabled on the audio devices.
With volume control on the mixer control for both PowerSDR and the audio devices adjusted the input levels to WSJT-X.
Turned off the "volume control" for the virtual device and the mixer control no longer worked for the virtual device...but it still worked on the audio coming from PowerSDR.

So why is the Windows 10 mixer controlled the audio chain from PowerSDR? And how should it be set?

de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
dmalcolm

Re: Audio mixer

Postby dmalcolm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Mike,
Where are you seeing a 20dB boost in PowerSDR? In my PowerSDR 3.4.2, I only see that term for Mic gain under the Transmit tab, and then only with Source set at "Mic In". In my case I need that boost for my Heil Proset.
Dan - K4HSQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Mike,

Read sections 3 and 4 of my VAC tutorial.

Leave all Windows mixer controls at maximum and don't mess with them. If you need gain adjustments, do them in PowerSDR or elsewhere, not in Windows (there are exceptions, but they are very special cases).

If you have more questions after that, post them here!

73!

Scott
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm

I see 20dB on the Setup/Audio/Primary tab "Line In gain"
I can't edit it at all.
The reason I ask is there shouldn't be any gain applied to a digital signal for WSJT-X...so was wonder if this gain # is analog from the ANAN or digital internally in PowerSDR. If digital it needs to be 0dB as digital gain is useless at best for digital work and harmfula at worst.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq7q4j12c5jmv ... 6.png?dl=1

de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
dmalcolm

Postby dmalcolm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Ok, I see it now. Mine is grayed out also, along with most of the Audio->Primary controls. Only Buffer Size and Sample Rate are changeable. I suspect but don't know, that they do nothing because of the Primary Sound Card setting which are also grayed out. Lets hope someone more knowledgable answers you.
Dan - K4HSQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Guys,

If you read my tutorial, you would understand that when using VAC the ONLY TX gain control that has any affect is the TX gain setting in Setup > Audio > VAC1 or VAC2. All other gain controls, whether in Setup > Audio > Primary or Setup > Transmit, or on the main user interface (MIC gain) have NO effect on your transmitted audio.

Also, when running WSJT-X or Fldigi, do be sure to be using the DIGU mode, as that will automatically remove all other processing that you might have forgot to turn off, such as TX EQ, CFC, COMP, etc.

When setting levels with WSJT-X or Fldigi put your TX gain at ZERO and don't touch it. Set your output gain to maximum in either WSJT-X or Fldigi and, using the TUNE button in those programs (not PowerSDR) you will see that drives PowerSDR input audio level (MIC level meter) to 0dB perfectly. Set your maximum RF drive as required using that level. Then any adjustments in WSJT-X or Fldigi will lower you from that maximum level as required/desired.

Scott

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”