Newbie question: Virtual Audio

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
K8EZB

Newbie question: Virtual Audio

Postby K8EZB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:08 pm

I ordered a 7000DLE in mid October and am impatient in the extreme to get on with learning and using this technology. Apache says "6-8 weeks" for delivery. In the meantime I'd like to do some experimenting/configuring of software to the extent useful and possible. I am planning to go straight to virtual audio using a B-1 mic and UMC204HD interface. Trying to determine whether Thetis will permit VAC configuring and testing to any meaningful extent without a radio connected?

Thanks,
Rick
K8EZB
w-u-2-o

Re: Newbie question: Virtual Audio

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:29 pm

AFAIK, there is no way to get Thetis to run without having the radio hardware available.

However, if you install something like Voicemeeter Potato, you can use that to exercise the mic and the Behringer interface. It's also likely to be a valuable exercise by itself later on when you want to do more complex audio configurations with Thetis.
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:57 pm

you can use that to exercise the mic and the Behringer interface

I have the mic and 204HD interface connected and the Behringer V5.12.0 drivers installed. I am able to configure the Behringer interface via the UMC Control Panel app and the W10 sound settings, and have the mic playing through the computer speaker with an audible (but slight) latency. The UMC Control Panel indicates in input latency of 12.17 ms and an output latency of 8.5 ms with sample size of 1024 and sample rate of 96000. I also see a message on the UMC control panel Buffer Settings screen: "ASIO not active." My best guess is that this message is likely due to Thetis not talking to the 204HD due to no radio connected and powered on. I am seeing all this for the very first time; any guidance as to how to interpret?

BTW: I also have Thetis running and VAC configured for ASIO and the 204HD. I have reviewed the Voicemeeter Banana manual and it seems like a step too far this early in the process, but I may get to it if I run out of other "experiments" while waiting for the radio.

Thanks,
Rick
K8EZB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:30 pm

You are using the Behringer interface with Windows as the controlling application. Windows does not support ASIO, hence the message. If you want to experiment with ASIO then you need to use an app like Voicemeeter, or some other digital audio workstation app like Reaper, Ardour, etc., that supports ASIO.

Note that if you are listening through your normal PC sound interface then you are not using the Behringer to listen and will not be able to exploit ASIO on receive. I recommend getting some inexpensive powered studio monitor speakers that can accept a fully balanced audio connection and listening through the Behringer as well. In the short term a set of headphones plugged into the Behringer will work.

You will want to change your sample rate to 48KHz, which is the audio sample rate used internally by Thetis (and set VAC to 48KHz as well when you get to that).

You should also go into the legacy Windows Sound Control Panel and set all Behringer related devices, input and output, to 48KHz explicitly.

It's not really worth doing now, as Thetis will play a part, but ultimately, if you are after the lowest latency possible, you will want to play with the Behringer buffer size and the Behringer driver mode and see how fast you can make things. The best way to do this is to listen to receive audio via the Behringer since it is much harder to properly monitor your transmitted audio.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how you can get Thetis to run without any hardware present.
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Hey Guys,

You may want to take a look at Alan Hopper's Patroclus. It emulates a Hermes or Hermes lite.
It might help you.

https://github.com/ahopper/Patroclus

-Rick / N1GP
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 am

if you install something like Voicemeeter Potato, you can use that to exercise the mic and the Behringer interface

Potato installed and talking ASIO to UMC, and it sees Thetis. Still not smart enough re Potato to be sure of correct setup, but making progress. Right now, most problems likely pilot error. We'll see!

Rick
K8EZB
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:18 am

Rick,

Potato isn't exactly what I'd call intuitive, but I do appreciate the flexibility it offers....specifically, it allows me to run Cantabile Lite thru Patch Insert (I'm using Cantabile as a VST host for my ASIO mic...I do all of my mic audio processing using VST plugins in Cantabile instead of the built-in audio features in Thetis).

Mark

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”