Windows Update

USB headsets to digital audio workstation software...
K9RX

Windows Update

Postby K9RX » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:08 pm

I've not had audio issues in a very long time ... but yesterday Windows took me through one of those wonderful update sessions... the latest, installed on 25 July, 2020. Since then my FT8 audio isn't working. Its mush. Distorted audio ... and the transmit is no better. I reset to an earlier db, a few days ago - and that fixed it - temporarily. But it keeps resorting to this mushy signal. I can't fix it permanently.

I have checked the audio sound settings - nothing seems out of place. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've never gone back or reset to the previous version of Windows, never had to - first off I don't see how this is a long term fix since eventually in order to keep up with updates I'll need to (re) install this version that doesn't work ... I don't know if this is a Eugene Muzchenko audio issue ... I'm using his version from 2018 (again and haven't any issues with it).

anyone have this and be able to resolve it? (I am not, at this time, looking to go to another VAC program unless I'm forced to).

[I am at the moment going through a reset to the previous WIndows version - again first time I've used this feature so hopefully it a) goes back properly and b) fixes this ... if both of these are positive then once again I don't know what the long term solution is since I can't/won't stay at an old (as time goes on) version of Windows]

Gary K9RX
K9RX

Re: Windows Update

Postby K9RX » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 pm

when I said I switched back to an older db - I meant one from a few days ago, that was working fine before this latest Windows update ... Gary
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:50 pm

This is not a PowerSDR problem. Moved to the Digital Audio sub-forum.

Windows updates are famous for breaking sound drivers and sample rate settings in the Windows Sound Control Panel. Check all your advanced settings for the virtual devices you use in the Windows Sound Control Panel. If those are OK, then uninstall whatever virtual audio cable software you use, reboot, reinstall, reboot, check your sample rate settings as previously discussed, and then see if it works.
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Latest windows 10 update #2004 (and specialy .NET framework one) also broke my VAC buffer latencies.

From no problems at all for many months I started suffering under/overflows very often with so many audible glitches.
Unfortunately after tweaking my system, updating and reinstalling drivers for 2 days, the only good solution was to roll back Windows to the previous version.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 pm

I rolled back yesterday. I've never done that before - never HAD to do that before. It fixed the issue. So what does one do going forward? I of course don't want to be stuck in time with an ever aging version of windows sans whatever security is needed ... will Microsoft "realize" this and correct these issues in the next version or am I on my own here? I do see others complaining, AQR here, and on the web. When I did the rollback they, Microsoft, asks what the reason is - I assume that goes to them ... but I can't assume if it gets read or acted on (unless there are LOTS of them).

Scott: understood what you're suggesting but i wanted to find out - if indeed this is purely a windows update issue what happens next. Before I get in to uninstalling and reinstalling VAC. Note all the settings were correct, I found nothing changed (I assume you mean the properties for each channel used).

And as regards VAC I have heard complaints that Eugene broke something in a later version(s). I've been using one dated 2018. Not sure if I can get the older version package again.

Gary
K9RX
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Well, a few things here that the latest update caused also. I have not rolled back out of the update yet. I did find that the rolling sample rate was stabilized by checking off of the “48 kHz” and then re-selecting “48 kHz”. The problem that I have here that really confused me was that the Thetis collapsed screen that I would start up on was showing up very dis-oriented, as if I had selected a different screen resolution or something. I found that if I started my wavenode wn-2 Software first this would happen, if I start Thetis before the wavenode program Thetis comes up with a normal display. I use a batch file to start all of my sdr programs, so to fix this I had to add a timed delay of 12 seconds of the wavenode startup?

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Gary,

I don't think that anyone can give you a definitive answer to your question.

I can only report that I and many others have suffered strange damage to both VB Audio and Muzy sound drivers during past Windows updates and that the solution was to uninstall/reinstall.

I have not had such a problem over the last few Windows updates (I don't keep track specifically). I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909.

The only other Windows update problem I've had was the one where the microphone permission had to be enabled in the privacy control panel.

For the record I use Voicemeeter Potato, not Muzy VAC.

Scott
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 pm

I was reading this this morning thinking that hmm I've never had an issue.

Then this afternoon I had to reinstall my soundcard driver because an update knocked the output channel out.

Win 10 regularly shuffles around the default audio devices, but aside from that, until today, I haven't had a lot of real trouble. I have four sound cards at this point, two rigs, the PC card and the external Focusrite.

Return to “Digital ("Virtual") Audio”