TX audio - Rack gear to Anan G2 interface questions

radiotx

TX audio - Rack gear to Anan G2 interface questions

Postby radiotx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 pm

I have read through quite a few threads about integrating analog audio into various Anan models and there seems to be a trend towards "just get rid of all that old rack gear, the Anan's internal capabilities are far superior in most cases" ... which I do not doubt. For operators like myself who are determined to use their rack gear, at least for now, the options presented usually lean toward VAC using an external sound card. There are at least some users who are piping their rack audio straight into the 'Line In' and/or the 'XLR' input.

Initial questions:

1) What is the simplest way to input analog audio into an Anan G2, from an analog rack output, using the 'Line in' or 'XLR' connection on the back of the G2?

2) What settings need to be made in Thetis to turn off any signal processing in the Anan on the line level input?
w-u-2-o

Re: TX audio - Rack gear to Anan G2 interface questions

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm

For line in see here: https://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#audio_chain

The G2 has a balanced input on the rear. I don't have a G2 but I believe that connector is a 1/4" TRS jack. People have had all manner of difficulty trying to use that input but theoretically it is the obvious way to go. One thing to watch out for is that there is a high gain mic preamp on that input, so input levels will have to be adjusted accordingly.

The easiest way to get zero processing for SSB is to simply select DIGU or DIGL modes. They automatically bypass everything except the final ALC stage.

For AM or regular SSB modes you have to disable the following:

1. COMP, VOX, downward expander (DE) and transmit EQ (TX EQ) via the buttons on the main UI.
2. Everything on the Setup > DSP > CFC page.
3. The leveler on the Setup > DSP > AGC/ALC page, and also set ALC max. gain to 0dB.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:34 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:For line in see here: https://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#audio_chain
The G2 has a balanced input on the rear. I don't have a G2 but I believe that connector is a 1/4" TRS jack. People have had all manner of difficulty trying to use that input but theoretically it is the obvious way to go. One thing to watch out for is that there is a high gain mic preamp on that input, so input levels will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Would the 1/8" TRS 'Line In' be a better choice, due to the high gain mic pre on the XLR input?

w-u-2-o wrote:The easiest way to get zero processing for SSB is to simply select DIGU or DIGL modes. They automatically bypass everything except the final ALC stage.

For AM or regular SSB modes you have to disable the following:

1. COMP, VOX, downward expander (DE) and transmit EQ (TX EQ) via the buttons on the main UI.
2. Everything on the Setup > DSP > CFC page.
3. The leveler on the Setup > DSP > AGC/ALC page, and also set ALC max. gain to 0dB.

Thanks, that is exactly the type of info I am looking for.

Follow up questions:

1) What is the simplest way to 'bridge' my analog audio from my rack directly into a VAC input?

2) Can this be done without running additional software, or at least very minimal additional software?

Basically, is there an option to convert my analog signal to digital/VAC and still make all my EQ/processing adjustments on my external analog gear?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:43 pm

radiotx wrote:Would the 1/8" TRS 'Line In' be a better choice, due to the high gain mic pre on the XLR input?
Hard to say. You'll have to try it. As I already wrote, a lot of people have had trouble using the G2 balanced input even with just a microphone by itself.

1) What is the simplest way to 'bridge' my analog audio from my rack directly into a VAC input?
Use one of the popular professional/prosumer USB audio interfaces. The Behringer UMC202HD has proven to be a very good choice and quite economical, but there are dozens of others to choose from.

2) Can this be done without running additional software, or at least very minimal additional software?
Absolutely. All you need is an audio interface (like the aforementioned Behringer) that provides ASIO driver software. The new "cmASIO" feature in Thetis means you don't even need to use VAC. See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4923
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Hard to say. You'll have to try it. As I already wrote, a lot of people have had trouble using the G2 balanced input even with just a microphone by itself.
Interesting. My PR40 has been working with an XLR to TRS cable connected directly to the 'XLR' jack of the G2. I will look for some threads about that issue, am curious what kinds of trouble they are having. I had considered using a Balanced Line-Level to Balanced Mic-Level signal attenuator in order to safely use the 'XLR' input on the G2, but I will start with the 3.5mm Unbalanced Line-Level input on the G2 first. That may be just fine.

w-u-2-o wrote:Use one of the popular professional/prosumer USB audio interfaces. The Behringer UMC202HD has proven to be a very good choice and quite economical, but there are dozens of others to choose from.

w-u-2-o wrote: All you need is an audio interface (like the aforementioned Behringer) that provides ASIO driver software. The new "cmASIO" feature in Thetis means you don't even need to use VAC. See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4923

So the USB audio interfaces that you mentioned, those convert the analog rack-output signal into a digital format, like ASIO, which can then be selected in the Thetis menus? That's it, the bridge is complete? ...or do I need to be using something like VoiceMeeter to make everything work properly? Sorry, this part is all new to me. :?

I will read the thread, thanks again!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:47 pm

The other thread should answer your question.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:54 pm

You attributed quotes to me that I did not make.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:39 pm

radiotx wrote:You attributed quotes to me that I did not make.

I am such an idiot. You have my abject apology.

What happened was when I went to quote your post and respond to it I accidentally clicked the edit button instead of the quote button and blithely started typing. And, because I am a moderator, the system let me do it. The result is that I posted an edited version of your post which is, of course, both stupid and wrong of me. Again, my apologies.

What makes it worse is that yours' was a lengthy, carefully thought out post and now it is lost. :(

Please do post it again, if you would.

Sorry,

Scott
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:00 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
radiotx wrote:You attributed quotes to me that I did not make.

I am such an idiot. You have my abject apology.

What happened was when I went to quote your post and respond to it I accidentally clicked the edit button instead of the quote button and blithely started typing. And, because I am a moderator, the system let me do it. The result is that I posted an edited version of your post which is, of course, both stupid and wrong of me. Again, my apologies.

What makes it worse is that yours' was a lengthy, carefully thought out post and now it is lost. :(

Please do post it again, if you would.

Sorry,

Scott

I knew the quote wasn't mine... but I also could not find exactly whose it was. lol :D I can't remember exactly what my post said, maybe I can find it somewhere.

"...yours' was a lengthy, carefully thought out post..."
I dunno, that doesn't sound like me. :)

I got cmASIO working, it is very straightforward. It seems much cleaner than using VAC, but I barely used VAC so it's not really for me to say. I am still running analog for phone SSB now, but that has more to with my current RX audio system that I share between multiple radios.

Thanks also for the input on a PC build, I got a nice little machine cobbled together.

73s!
K5IUC

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”