Microphone/ Audio Interface Options

WT4DX

Re: Microphone/ Audio Interface Options

Postby WT4DX » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:00 am

Joe wrote:Tem,
I believe you are using the presonus quantum 2 thunderbolt unit? What are your thoughts regarding latency, etc. How about compared to a usb unit? I am installing a thunderbolt adapter on my pc which is backward compatible to thunderbolt 2 with an adapter cable I believe. There are some pretty good prices on the quantum 2 right now I see. I also like the Apollo solo thunderbolt 3. Just thinking about interface options.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y

Hi Joe,

I don't have the Q2 up and running yet, but the Thunderbolt cable should have a slight edge over the USB.

I'll give you more appropriate feedback once I've logged some time with it.

Tem
WT4DX
Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:02 pm

Thanks Bryan and Tem,
I’ve been looking over different options with audio latency in mind. I did look at some of the pcie options as well. If I do go another route, I will post so maybe helpful to others. Tem, I look forward to what you find with the quantum 2. The thunderbolt adapter I am installing is thunderbolt 4 so I know to go to any version below thunderbolt 3, I would need another adapter to connect to the 3 cable. Just some things to think about.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:07 pm

I'm still working on my station's audio solutions, and would a Bluetooth transmitter such as the Sennheiser below have any potential to cause RFI issues with the rigs that we run?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-T100- ... B07F8DGJ6G

Tem
WT4DX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:33 pm

In general, 2.4 and 5 GHz devices are usually safe. For instance, there's typically no interference from a house full of Wi-Fi devices.
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:37 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:In general, 2.4 and 5 GHz devices are usually safe. For instance, there's typically no interference from a house full of Wi-Fi devices.

Thanks.....

Tem
WT4DX
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:50 am

I tried to set up VAC audio today; after being unsuccessful getting rid of the ECHO on my SSB transmit signal using the TRS balanced input on the G2 with plain front.

I set up an M-Audio Air 192/6 sound interface. Microphone is a Neumann KMS -105 with the phantom power on.
Using Voicemeeter Banana. Virtual input using VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO. VAC1 setup MME, VM output, VM Input. Tried ASIO, VM ASIO, VM ASIO without improvement. Voicemeeter pull-down selections are confusing!

Receive audio is great. So is the microphone audio over the shack studio monitors. But the microphone audio is not reaching the transmitter.

What am I doing wrong? I feel so close to setting up virtual audio.

Thanks for any guidance!!

73 Torrey N9PY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:44 am

Torrey--please clarify your situation. Are you saying there is still echo? Or are you saying that there is no transmit audio at all?

First off, change your driver back to ASIO in VAC setup.

If the problem is no transmit audio at all, check that none of the VAC "override" options are enabled.

If you continue to struggle, please post screen shots of your Voicemeeter and VAC configurations, especially the main Voicemeeter UI.
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:33 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Torrey--please clarify your situation. Are you saying there is still echo? Or are you saying that there is no transmit audio at all?

First off, change your driver back to ASIO in VAC setup.

If the problem is no transmit audio at all, check that none of the VAC "override" options are enabled.

If you continue to struggle, please post screen shots of your Voicemeeter and VAC configurations, especially the main Voicemeeter UI.

I went back to ASIO in the Thetis setup. After rebooting Thetis, transmit function was restored.
I was distressed that the transmitted audio had a loud crackling background.
So I set the M-Audio Air 192/6 aside. I had a new unused Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD on the shelf. I set it up. Glad to see that it used only ASIO drivers. I seems to work satisfactorily with Thetis and no crackling. Too soon to know how it sounds on the air. The record/play buttons do not appear to function now. Is that expected with VAC?
Otherwise things look good.

Tnx & 73 Torrey N9PY
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 pm

Is it feasible to run a TRS cable from the line output on a Presonus Quantum 2 directly into the XLR mic input of the G2.

Tem
WT4DX
dynamicfusion

Postby dynamicfusion » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 pm

I just threw out my M-audio AIR box. It was suffering MAJOR USB data jitter, and replaced it with a UA Volt #1. Best DAC I have ever tried with ridiculously low latency.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 pm

dynamicfusion wrote:I just threw out my M-audio AIR box. It was suffering MAJOR USB data jitter, and replaced it with a UA Volt #1. Best DAC I have ever tried with ridiculously low latency.

The Volt 1 is what I have been using. It has proven to be very well behaved. Best upgrade I have added to my setup after my Tannoy Reveal 501A powered studio monitors. Extremely low latency using the cmASIO interface.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:41 pm

WT4DX wrote:Is it feasible to run a TRS cable from the line output on a Presonus Quantum 2 directly into the XLR mic input of the G2.

Feasible, but you may need an attenuator.

Why not use cmASIO?
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:51 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
WT4DX wrote:Is it feasible to run a TRS cable from the line output on a Presonus Quantum 2 directly into the XLR mic input of the G2.

Feasible, but you may need an attenuator.

Why not use cmASIO?

That's my intent, but I'm just exploring different possibilities.
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 am

I am just upgrading to a uphoria UMC202hd. I have managed to get things operating with CMASIO and also with Voicemeeter Banana. But just not very well. Using the UMC202 headphone socket as the output I get audio dropouts every couple of seconds, but using the same voicemeeter signal into another speaker <computer speaker> its fine. If I use a mic into one of the inputs of the UMC202 I get audio in the voicemeeter but with what sounds like a gale in the background with a note the rises and falls over a couple of seconds. I checked the UMC202 using its direct audio out and that's fine. So it seems that I have an issue with the UMC interface. I used the ver 5.30 software drivers. I have configured things for 64 buffers and safe in the UMC driver and it confirms that the sample rate is set to 48000 Hz as is everything in Voicemeeter. VAC 1 is set to 64 buffers.
At this point I am wondering what to try next. There must be a fair few people out there who are running U-phoria umc`s out there. Please what should I be doing to fix this.

Bob
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:01 pm

Bob--your post here and your other post that I answered represent a unique set of problems that don't fit neatly into either of the topics you tailed onto.

Don't be shy! :) Please start your very own new topic in the Digital Virtual Audio sub-forum (viewforum.php?f=13), perhaps entitled "UMC202HD configuration problems", and start posting some screen shots of your setup.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”