Audio Lag/Delay in Transmitted audio when using microphone

gkendric

Audio Lag/Delay in Transmitted audio when using microphone

Postby gkendric » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:44 am

I have an ANAN 7000DLE Mk II tuning Thesis 2.9 (newer series) and Protocol 2. I have a problem that, so far, has not been identified and a solution has not been found. I don't know if this is a problem with the ANAN 7000DLE Mk II equipment or the software.

The problem is that there is a Lag time (or delay) from microphone PTT until the audio, from the microphone, makes it into the radio and through to be transmitted. I have tested it with several microphones and the delay, or lag, is there with all microphones but the delayed time does vary with different microphones. I have used a Shure 444, ElecroVoice Model 638, and an Astatic D-104. The longest time delay or lag is with the Astatic D-104 and which approaches a 2.5-3 seconds lag. If I lock down the microphone transmit (PTT) and use the software (General tab) settings to disable PTT then use the MOX or Spacebar to key on the transmitter there is no delay, the audio is immediate. The delay only is present when I plug the microphone into the front 1/8" jack and use the PTT to key the radio. The transmission is instantaneous however the audio (my transmitted audio) does not make it through to be transmitted over the air until somewhere between 1 to 3 seconds depending on the microphone used.

I have looked for adjustments, in the software, that might contribute to the problem or eliminate it but I cannot find any adjustment that could cause it. I'm wondering if there is something that is a problem with the radio? It's a crazy thing so anyone ever have that problem and if so how do I solve it?

Gary ... KW4Z
w-u-2-o

Re: Audio Lag/Delay in Transmitted audio when using microphone

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:14 pm

Gary,

It sounds like you've got a microphone and/or PTT wiring problem.

How is the 444 wired? How is the 638 wired and what are you using for PTT with it? Are there any other external PTT switches involved? Please be precise in your descriptions. If you can attached datasheets or wiring diagrams that would be helpful.

Let's solve the problem for those mic's before considering the D104.

Scott
gkendric

Postby gkendric » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:52 am

All of the microphones are wired as follows: given Tip / Ring / Sleeve

Microphone (Hot) + to the RING
Microphone (Shield) - to the TIP
Ground Case to the Sleeve
PTT + connected with the Shield to the TIP

Hope this helps. All microphones are wired the same way
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am

Nope, that's not going to work. The problem is your mic wiring. Did you read any of the manuals that have been produced for the 7000? Probably not ;)

Did you read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2573 ?

Mic can be on tip or ring. Be sure to select the desired contact in Setup > General > H/W Select. Don't forget to make an appropriate choice for bias voltage on or off as well.

After you've made your choice on the mic signal contact, the remaining contact, tip or ring, becomes PTT. That contact may not have any other signal other than PTT connected to it. The radio will transmit when the PTT signal is grounded and receive when the PTT signal is floating.

All grounds, PTT, mic, whatever, ALL grounds must go to sleeve.

Time to get out the soldering iron!
gkendric

Postby gkendric » Sat May 06, 2023 8:52 am

Yes, sadly it does seem that a redoing of the connections is necessary. It did ring familiar when I read the statement about all grounds (including Mic- being tied to the shield connection/lead. Thanks again.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”