ANAN 100d line level audio?

Anthony_G7LRQ

ANAN 100d line level audio?

Postby Anthony_G7LRQ » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:55 pm

I have a Anan100d with the angelia board, and PiHPSDR V2 controller.

I have the Controller connected to a PC using serial and that does the radio control for contesting. etc, I am now trying to connect the audio from the Anan to my PC so I can operate on MGM etc.

I looked at the 25 way connector information in the manual and not sure which pins would provide a suitable i/p & o/p.

I can get audio out using pin 10 Connected to LineIn on PC but the level is dependant of the ANAN volume level (not ideal) and I can't find a pin that works for the audio i/p from the lineout on my PC.

Can any provide any information of whether what I looking for is possible and how to connect it if it is?

Regards Anthony G7LRQ
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN 100d line level audio?

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:55 pm

If you are looking at the manuals referenced here, then the answer is DB25 pins 10 and 22.

You've already found pin 10, so you really didn't need that answer.

However, why you might be confused is because all volume level control is performed in software, e.g., in piHPSDR or Thetis, and the audio CODEC chip in the 100D is not really used to its full potential. There is no provision in the firmware for it. Hence all output levels: headphone, speakers, and line, vary with the manipulation of the RX1 and RX2 AF controls. I.e. the line outputs aren't allowed to function as a true line level output would and stay at a fixed level.

As for analog audio going in the transmit direction, there is only one way to input that into the hardware, and that is through the microphone input. Thus line or speaker level outputs need to be attenuated.

BREAK

Since you have now dragged a Windows PC into the mix, consider that you might be better off simply installing Thetis on the PC with the "MGM" software applications. Thetis has far more functionality than piHPSDR and running it on the same machine substantially simplifies the audio transport problem. Install Voicemeeter Potato software audio mixer application, make the necessary software configurations, and you are up and running no fuss, no muss, no wires, cables, attenuators, soldering or anything else to worry about. If you desperately miss the knobs and buttons, add a MIDI controller. You can even control Voicemeeter via MIDI.

I'm certain there are ways to transport the audio digitally between the PC and the Raspberry Pi in your piHPSDR controller however I'm not very familiar with those solutions, except to know they are also of higher complexity than a Windows-only solution.
Anthony_G7LRQ

Postby Anthony_G7LRQ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Many thanks for the detailed explanations, I am slowly understanding the Anan more and more.

Unless I am reading the manual wrong Pin 22 is an output the same as 10, The only pin that seems to indicate its a Input is 12 "Left Channel Line-Level Audio Input*", but I tried that and had no success. I am not sure what the * means at the end of the name (description) in the manual, that would normally reference a foot note or something but I couldn't see one.

I understand that it would all be easier if I removed the PiHPSDR controller from the mix and ran it all on a pc, but that not how I want to go. I like the standalone operation of the Anan and Controller with its knobs and not having to have the PC tied up when I just listening in the shack.

I now have my pc connected and interfacing with the A&C from all the software I use, I am just trying to wire it so I don't need to keep swopping leads for microphone or pc connection etc.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Anthony_G7LRQ wrote:The only pin that seems to indicate its a Input is 12 "Left Channel Line-Level Audio Input*", but I tried that and had no success. I am not sure what the * means at the end of the name (description) in the manual, that would normally reference a foot note or something but I couldn't see one.

Oops! Sorry, forgot about that input! Not sure how to select that in piHPSDR, or if it's even supported in piHPSDR. In Thetis you go to Setup > Transmit and select between Mic or Line.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”