Heil ICM with Anan 7000DLE

NZ5F

Heil ICM with Anan 7000DLE

Postby NZ5F » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 pm

I have a question about using a Heil ICM with the Anan 7000DLE. Is it possible to use that microphone with the front microphone 1/8" stereo input. I got a good deal on a boom setup from a friend and just want to confirm that i can utilize it. If I can't use that microphone I would like to get a boom microphone for my setup. The deal comes with the boom setup and all the parts and pieces. Thanks for any advice on this topic,

Keith
NZ5F
w-u-2-o

Re: Heil ICM with Anan 7000DLE

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:05 pm

You can pretty much use any microphone you want with the ANAN. But the cable and connector has to be wired properly, and both the bias and mic boost settings need to be set properly.

The pinout for the ANAN mic connector is in the manual, and the settings in Thetis can be found in Setup > General > H/W Select and Setup > Transmit.

Bias on and boost off for a condenser mic like the iCM. The opposite for a dynamic mic.

Hardware options depend on how your mic cable is wired. Do not attempt to plug a mono connector into the stereo jack, it will not work right.
JJ4SDR

Postby JJ4SDR » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:00 am

Scott,

This is an old post, but what jumped out at me was that "Bias" be turned ON when using a condenser mic as I am. Now, this may be a really silly question, but what does "Bias" do in the ANAN? My condenser mic is plugged into the XLR IN on my mic pre-amplifier and the XLR OUT is taken into the XLR IN of a Jensen Transformers Audio Isolator and OUT to LINE IN (L) of the ANAN. The mic pre-amplifier provides a +48VDC phantom voltage.

The "Bias" is set to OFF in my case as I guess I somehow took "Bias" for Phantom voltage which I presume is totally incorrect. :roll: If this is indeed false, then that likely explains some of the issues that I am encountering.

Oh, and when monitoring my audio I won't be able to use the high-quality headphones as I do when on VAC1. I don't think the perceived audio has anything to do with the other pair of "cans" (plugged into the front of the ANAN 7000 DLE MKII) that I use now that I feed audio straight into the LINE IN (L) on the back of the ANAN. Those "better" headphones are also plugged into a linear headphones amplifier, using balanced cables from the headphones.

Juha
NI2M
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:34 am

JJ4SDR wrote:The "Bias" is set to OFF in my case as I guess I somehow took "Bias" for Phantom voltage which I presume is totally incorrect.
No, not incorrect at all. They are functionally the same thing. "Bias" tends to refer to lower voltages from 3 to 8VDC necessary to run electret mic elements, while "phantom" tends to refer to 48VDC to run professional grade condenser mic elements, but essentially the same thing. Of course a condenser mic designed for 48V isn't going to run very well at 3 or 8V, and an electret element designed for low voltage will be damaged by 48V.

If this is indeed false, then that likely explains some of the issues that I am encountering.
Again, not false, but it still doesn't explain any of the issues you are having.

To that point, you really should have made this post in your other topic that already addresses the issues you are having. Go back to that topic and read what I posted and maybe act on some of those suggestions. Post your results in that topic.

Oh, and when monitoring my audio I won't be able to use the high-quality headphones as I do when on VAC1. I don't think the perceived audio has anything to do with the other pair of "cans" (plugged into the front of the ANAN 7000 DLE MKII) that I use now that I feed audio straight into the LINE IN (L) on the back of the ANAN. Those "better" headphones are also plugged into a linear headphones amplifier, using balanced cables from the headphones.
Not sure I entirely follow this discussion but it has nothing to do with this topic and is therefore worthy of it's own.

My own thread drift: that people look for an existing, relevant topic to add on to is a laudable thing, but sometimes I think people try too hard. If existing topics are not a perfect fit, don't hesitate to create a new topic, preferably in the right sub-forum, at least ;)

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”