What Mic Are You Using?

WU6R

What Mic Are You Using?

Postby WU6R » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm new to the ANAN family of SDR radios with a "new to me" ANAN-10E which did not arrive with a mic. I've read the manual and the two posted comments at the top of the microphone section of the Apache Labs forum, but want to know what others are doing for a microphone before venturing off to experiment with different setups. So, 1) what are you using? and, 2) is there a simple, no fuss mic setup that someone is willing to share? Finally, is anyone using a USB mic plugged into a Windows 10 pc that is configured within the Thetis setup software?

Thanks,
Mark WU6R
mark.wheeler3575@gmail.com
Mark WU6R
w-u-2-o

Re: What Mic Are You Using?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 pm

WU6R wrote:I've read the manual and the two posted comments at the top of the microphone section of the Apache Labs forum

This would appear to be your only posting in the microphone section, Mark.

but want to know what others are doing for a microphone before venturing off to experiment with different setups. So, 1) what are you using?

Not sure it's simply and low fuss, but I use a professional USB sound interface plugged into the PC, and low cost, professional microphones plugged into that. This would sort of qualify as an answer to your USB mic question below.

My old interface was a Behringer UMC202. You can buy the current version on Amazon for $120. My current interface is a more expensive product from Presonus, but it's really overkill for most people.

My main microphone is a Behringer B1. It's a large diameter condenser mic with nearly ruler flat frequency response. There are many other, similar microphones at this price point ($100), such as the MXL770, MXL990, AT2020, and others. They all require real, 48V mic bias power (phantom power), which the UMC202 interface provides.

I also have an AKG WMS420 wireless mic with the headworn C555 mic. I can roam around the studio with this. It has nearly the same frequency response as the B1. Probably overkill for you.

and, 2) is there a simple, no fuss mic setup that someone is willing to share?

I'm probably not the right guy to answer this :D

Finally, is anyone using a USB mic plugged into a Windows 10 pc that is configured within the Thetis setup software?

Yes. It's easy. I've used a very inexpensive Microsoft Lifechat headset and it works fine. Thanks to the podcasting and streaming community there are no end of very good quality, large diameter condenser mics with USB interfaces at right around the $100 price point. Check out this article: https://consordini.com/best-cheap-condenser-mics-under-100/
WU6R

Postby WU6R » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm

Very helpful. Thank you.
Mark WU6R
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi Mark,

With the CFC voice processing suite in Thetis it's possible to take a very inexpensive mic and produce beautiful broadcast-quality audio or beastly DX audio without much fuss. When I am in the mood for simplicity I plug a Behringer XM-8500 dynamic that I bought on Amazon for 20 bucks into the front panel MIC jack of my ANAN and I get lots of unsolicited comments about how nice it sounds. I don't see that mic being offered on Amazon any more but there are lots of other relatively inexpensive choices out there that will work fine.

Normally, I use a UMC202HD interface (that Scott mentioned already) plugged into a USB port on the computer to run my DBX-286S hardware voice processor with a Marshall MXL-770 mic into Thetis through VAC1. It's not very high-end but it works great and is very reliable.

The bottom line is that with the CFC audio tools in Thetis you can get very high quality audio lots of different ways without too much fuss.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
WU6R

Postby WU6R » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 pm

Rob,
Thanks - very helpful. I'm initially looking for simplicity.

Mark
Mark WU6R
WU6R

Postby WU6R » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Rob,

What cord are you using to connect the XM8500 to the 3.5 mm stereo jack on the front of the ANAN?
Mark WU6R
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi Mark,

I made a cable using balanced line shielded mic cable with a female XLR on one end and a 1/8 inch TRS plug on the other connected as shown in the screenshot. Works great with all my studio dynamic microphones.

73, Rob W1AEX

Note: You can hear the comparison between the external audio rack with the MXL-770 studio electret and the 20 dollar XM8500 dynamic plugged directly into the ANAN in the video below. Pretty even split with stations I speak with as to which is preferred. It definitely falls into the subjective zone.

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
46flatlander

Postby 46flatlander » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Is this diagram viable for a condenser mic with onboard bias enabled ? (rear jack) Thank you
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Yes.

Just in case it wasn't clear from Rob's description, my preference is to use the shielded, two conductor professional microphone cable and bond MIC- and SHIELD at both ends, not just at one end.

73!

Scott
AB5N

Postby AB5N » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:36 pm

After much research and testing...I landed on the Audio Technica AT-2035. It is a medium diaphragm condenser. Looks great, sounds great and
won't break the bank. You do need a phantom power supply. I use the Behringer DSP-110 "Shark". It offers it's own noise gate and compressor too. Cheap used on Ebay. You could also go with a USB adapter. Behringer has these cheap too. Want to spend $50 more and get that last 10% of quality? It's the TZ Audio Products Stellar X2 mic. Bob-AB5N
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:52 pm

Damn, Bob, and I thought my B1 was flat. Now I'm seriously thinking about that AT. Thanks for spending my money :)
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:56 pm

I also run an AT-2035, thru a Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC500USB (needed only for the 48v phantom power, the preamp stays in Neutral mode). That plugs into the computer's USB port and the audio (after some Windows-based software EQ'ing) feeds into the 7000DLE thru VAC1.

Mark
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm

Hello All! I just received my Black 7000DLE MKII and have a Behringer XM-8500. Does anyone know if someone sells a mic cable for the ANAN? I just retired due to disability and struggle with making components. Any other ideas or mics and ready made cables would be greatly appreciated.

73 David WR4N

W1AEX wrote:Hi Mark,

With the CFC voice processing suite in Thetis it's possible to take a very inexpensive mic and produce beautiful broadcast-quality audio or beastly DX audio without much fuss. When I am in the mood for simplicity I plug a Behringer XM-8500 dynamic that I bought on Amazon for 20 bucks into the front panel MIC jack of my ANAN and I get lots of unsolicited comments about how nice it sounds. I don't see that mic being offered on Amazon any more but there are lots of other relatively inexpensive choices out there that will work fine.

Normally, I use a UMC202HD interface (that Scott mentioned already) plugged into a USB port on the computer to run my DBX-286S hardware voice processor with a Marshall MXL-770 mic into Thetis through VAC1. It's not very high-end but it works great and is very reliable.

The bottom line is that with the CFC audio tools in Thetis you can get very high quality audio lots of different ways without too much fuss.

73, Rob W1AEX
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 pm

A quick Google search turned up this person:

https://hammadeparts.com/

Couldn't tell you if he's good, bad or indifferent.

Edited to add: you might also try reaching out to local hams or clubs. With your guidance perhaps someone close to you could come over and help you construct the cable you need.

See also this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3374
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:02 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:A quick Google search turned up this person:

Edited to add: you might also try reaching out to local hams or clubs. With your guidance perhaps someone close to you could come over and help you construct the cable you need.

Thanks so much! I searched GOOGLE. Obviously I didn’t use the right query. Again, much appreciated!
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm

WR4N wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:A quick Google search turned up this person:

Thanks so much! I searched GOOGLE. Obviously I didn’t use the right query. Again, much appreciated!

Just my luck. He’s Silent Key since 2018. :o

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
Rookie2021

Postby Rookie2021 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 pm

In the spirit of experimentation I want to try the following. I want to be sure first there is no possibilty of harm as I'm finding the Anan different from my previous radios. I have a Stellar X2. This is a large element condenser mic (not to be confused with electrets which are also commonly called condensers). I have a 48v phantom power supply. Would it be ok to test it through the front mic jack of the 7000? I'm guessing the bias would be switched on at the transmit tab. Thanks for knowledgeable replies. No flames please, I'm a newbie to this rig. :oops: Thanks.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Rookie2021 wrote:In the spirit of experimentation I want to try the following. I want to be sure first there is no possibilty of harm as I'm finding the Anan different from my previous radios. I have a Stellar X2. This is a large element condenser mic (not to be confused with electrets which are also commonly called condensers). I have a 48v phantom power supply. Would it be ok to test it through the front mic jack of the 7000? I'm guessing the bias would be switched on at the transmit tab. Thanks for knowledgeable replies. No flames please, I'm a newbie to this rig. :oops: Thanks.

Assuming your +48V phantom supply has blocking capacitors on pins 2 and 3 of the XLR audio output (all commercial phantom mic supplies do), you can then connect either Pin 2 or 3 to the ANAN front panel mic input and use tip and ground on the 3.5mm TRS (stereo type) plug. If RFI becomes an issue, you may need either RF choke or transformer isolation at the ANAN's mic input jack.

Instead of using the ANAN's mic jack, I would consider one of the many pro sound mic interfaces with phantom powering (e.g., Focusrite Scarlett or Behringer UM2 series) that connect to a PC's USB port. That way you can use VAC and take advantage of the audio interface's high common-mode rejection properties. Most interfaces use ultra-low-noise 3-stage instrumentation op-amp devices on a IC single chip. All audio is routed between USB and the PC, then over Ethernet to the ANAN. I believe WU2O and W1AEX have written about VAC set-up and should be available through the board index.

Paul, W9AC
Rookie2021

Postby Rookie2021 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks Paul for this info. Yeah, I'm thinking the VAC route will be best in the long run.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”