No Speaker Audio - Blown Audio Output Amp ??

AA2GF

No Speaker Audio - Blown Audio Output Amp ??

Postby AA2GF » Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 pm

I suspect the amp for the speaker output has failed in my 7000 DLE MKII. One evening a couple weeks ago, as I increased the volume the speaker started making a loud motorboating sound, almost like a 10 Hz square wave from the way the speaker cone was moving, adjusting the audio level or hitting the mute button did nothing, I had to recycle power to get it to stop. After that happened any volume level setting greater than about 5 on the Thetis RX1 AF slider resulted in major distortion, but the front headphone output works perfectly without any distortion.

Just a little while ago I was running the rig and while adjusting the volume a loud pop came from the speaker and then nothing, dead silence, both speaker outputs are dead and the front headphone jack still works perfectly.

Anyone have a schematic or can tell me what the part number is?

--aa2gf--
w-u-2-o

Re: No Speaker Audio - Blown Audio Output Amp ??

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Unfortunately the schematics for the 7000 are only available upon request to the factory. However, the good news is that, except for board connectorization, the audio components and circuitry are identical on everything Apache has ever built. Go to the schematic section of the forum and look at the schematic for the 200D (Orion). The chip in question is the TPA-0202.

You didn't by chance accidentally use mono connectors or otherwise connect one leg of the speakers to chassis ground, did you? You have to use TRS (stereo) connectors and only connect across the tip and ring.
AA2GF

Re: No Speaker Audio - Blown Audio Output Amp ??

Postby AA2GF » Sat May 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks for the help Scott ... and I did use the stereo plugs wth tip and ring.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”