Powered Speaker for my setup !!

OZ1CT-Ben

Powered Speaker for my setup !!

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:08 am

Hi All

I am looking for a Powered Speaker for my setup and the quistion is ther a good one
as the Heil HPS-5 or do I have to look for a HI-FI version ????

what do you use ????

I run my setup remote and I have to connect it to my onboard audio output so it need to have a low input terminal...
( maybe change the soundcard ??? )

73" OZ1CT Ben
GW0DQW

Re: Powered Speaker for my setup !!

Postby GW0DQW » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am

Hi Ben ,

I use a JBL professional power monitor .

Regards
Chris GW0DQW
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 am

Do you have a type number ????
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 am

I use Logitech PC speakers. If you have a Best Buy store they have them on display. You can listen to different models and decide what you like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FU5QM0/re ... AEbHDWMSY9
Ernie

Postby Ernie » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 am

I am using a pair of Fostex 6301B's plugged in to the headphone jack on the front.
W2FMU
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 pm

The Fostex 6301 NX / NB / ND version 350 to 400$ is maybe a good choise, I have to look what the various is good for.

but I have also look at the Heil sound hps-5 450$ but maybe the price is in that range for a good speaker...

73 OZ1CT Ben
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Ben,

I would not buy anything from Heil, especially a speaker. They are not a speaker company. Lots of real speaker companies have forgotten more than Heil will ever know about speakers.

I am a huge proponent of buying high end speakers for amateur radio stations. Especially if you have a radio like ours that provides outstanding raw material for the speakers to reproduce.

I can't communicate except by English, but in English the search term you want is "powered studio monitors". Google search, Amazon search, etc.

If you have a musician's type of store near you, head down there and listen to a few. For US-based folks, a great place to do this is at any Guitar Center.

I would be willing to bet that almost any powered studio monitor from Amazon will be better, or at least a better value, than what Heil sells.

I have no experience except with JBL studio monitors. My station currently uses a pair of LSR305's, which are the older version of the new 305P. Buying those turned out to be the second most important thing I ever did in ham radio (the first was switching to a direct conversion SDR). Absolutely phenomenal sound. Listening is effortless. I never have to resort to headphones to make a contact anymore.

However, the JBL's do present a challenge in that they only provide a fully balanced audio connection, while all of the audio outputs of the ANAN series hardware are unbalanced. It just so happens that I use PC audio interface with balanced outputs, so that is not a problem for me. However, if you are using the headphone output of the ANAN hardware you will probably want to use a set of powered monitors that provides unbalanced inputs.

It's also worth noting that on the 7000 and 8000 series hardware Apache inexplicably did not provide external access to the left and right line level audio outputs from the Orion MKII SDR board. Since you cannot use the powered speaker outputs to run powered studio monitors, that limits you to using the headphone output. Either that, or modify the radio to bring out the line level signals from J16 on the Orion. Or do what some of us do, which is to run all of our audio through the PC using an interface like the Behringer UMC series interfaces (or similar).

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Ben

These might be more of a "low-end product" than you desire, but I use a pair of Bose Companion Series II computer speakers that cost me $79 (U.S.) on sale. They sound very clean with surprising low end reproduction and appear to have adequate RF filtering to not be a problem while transmitting. Bose is now selling the Series III versions which appear to be identical to what I have other than the new black enclosure. I connect them to the line output of my computer soundcard and then run a patch cord from the ANAN's headphone jack right into the computer's line input. That lets me set the input level with the Windows mixer controls. It also lets me make mp3 recordings and video/sound captures with any software I want without having to use VAC since the source audio is present right at the computer's line input.

73, Rob W1AEX

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Scott is right on the mark when he says that JBL studio monitors are the best money can buy. I put my audio through an old Sansui AU-d11 stereo amplifier. This audio amplifier was and still is a great piece of equipment. I have a pair of Sansui speakers and a set of JBL speakers. When I listen to the 7000 DLE I use the JBL's. They are clear as a bell. I have a bit of hearing loss and I have to boost the mids and highs slightly. There is no distortion at all. I've not used the JBL powered monitors, but if they are the same quality, they can't be beat for the money.

Scott, I have a converter that takes a high level (speaker output) matches it to RCA line level. I had used them on and old car system back in the day. I've read Scott's warning about NOT plugging powered speakers to the LEFT and RIGHT speaker outputs to powered speakers. For good reason. Scott, what is your opinion about using one of these audio converters? I used mine on the output of a Yamaha amp for years.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Ruben,

I have never used any of the level shift devices. However, I would not be inclined to do so when a more reasonable level is available from the headphone output. Why subject the signal to the additional distortion of the on-board speaker amplifier?

While I am fully virtualized here, meaning all of my audio goes through the PC for both TX and RX, if I was determined to use the built-in audio circuitry in the 7000 or 8000 hardware, then I would cut/jumper the rear panel breakout board to re-purpose the DIG IN RCA jacks to carry the audio line-out signals. AFAIK, those signals are carried onto the breakout board via the J16 ribbon cable.

I would also not hesitate to buy or build an unbalanced to balanced cable or even transformer-based device so that I could properly feed a set of JBL studio monitors, but that may be a level of complexity most don't aspire to.

That said, if you are willing to learn about the VAC interface, something like a Behringer UMC202HD will instantly raise you into the realm of fully balanced audio connections, thereby allowing the easy use of higher quality microphones and studio monitors. And professional microphone cables are very resistant to RFI. And there is no penalty for latency, because don't forget that the audio chipset in the ANAN units essentially amounts to a custom sound card. All audio flows up into, through, and back down from PowerSDR or Thetis. By using a professional sound interface on the PC, the audio is now just flowing between that sound interface rather than the one in the ANAN.

It's also worth mentioning that if you've got something like that Behringer (or Focusrite, Steinberg, PreSonus, et al), all of them have true 48V phantom power, and the market for really wonderful, large diameter condenser microphones at the $100 price point is fabulous. This includes products from Behringer, MXL, AKG, and others. These mic's will generally work at least as good, if not better than anything from Heil, and for far less. Don't forget to use your TX EQ, too!

Scott
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you for the reply Scott. I'm already using the Behringer UMC202HD. That along with Voicemeeter Potato I'm using the PC for both transmit and receive. This method is very easy to set up and use. Again, thank you for the information a thank you for all the help you provide.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 pm

HI all

I live on a small island here in the baltic sea and we dont have we have no music store that i can just go down and hear some speaker ...

but see that i can buy a set of 305P mk II for $ 139 incl shipping so it looks promising.

The Behringer UMC202HD is on sale from the same dealer to 80$ and I think it is a better sound card than on the pc'board....

I use my ANan-100d whit win10-RDP from my summer house and via internet back to my house in the city, so I just hope that I dont lose any
sound quality before it get out from my home PC.....

Thank you alle for input on my request...I wil google for more info.... I have a lot of spare time now as the boarder out from the island is closed
and I have to stay at home the next 14 days because of the circulating corona virus...

73" OZ1CT Ben
GW0DQW

Postby GW0DQW » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05 am

OZ1CT-Ben wrote:Do you have a type number ????

JBL 305P MKII Powered Studio Monitor

Chris
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm looking at the studio monitors now. I want to get two but common sense is telling me I only need one. I don't know that its really beneficial to have 2 monitors when the audio isn't true stereo. Comments?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm

PowerSDR and Thetis both support stereo panning of the two receivers, so if you are the kind of person who likes to listen to more than one receiver (or passband in MultiRX mode) simultaneously you might find it useful to put one on the left speaker and one on the right.

The software also supports the so-called "Binaural" mode of audio (the BIN button). I never cared for it, but some people love it. For that you need stereo capability.

I also prefer having the expanded "sound stage" that two speakers provide.

Finally, you might use the speakers for more than just ham radio reception. Since all my audio flows through my PC, I also use the monitors for music, video, etc.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 pm

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 in my shack. The satellites are perched on either side of my 40" monitor and the subwoofer resides under the bench.

An A/B switch flips the speakers between the Anan headphone jack or the PC.
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 pm

HI Scott

you write " large diameter condenser microphones at the $100 price point is fabulous" any hint from you ???? Type ???? Brand ??

maybe I wil order together whit the Speaker+soundcard....

73" OZ1CT Ben
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm

OZ1CT-Ben wrote:HI Scott

you write " large diameter condenser microphones at the $100 price point is fabulous" any hint from you ???? Type ???? Brand ??

maybe I wil order together whit the Speaker+soundcard....

73" OZ1CT Ben
I listed no less than three brand names in my post, please go back and re-read it. I'll also add Audio-Technica to that list.

Personally I own a Behringer B1 because I prefer a microphone with a very, very flat frequency response. I don't at all care for the idea of doing audio EQ in the microphone (like Heil does).
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:46 am

HI Scott

tnx fer info then I have a least one I can have a look at " Behringer B1"

Now waiting for the postman whit the speaker & soundcard from Germany :D

73" OZ1CT Ben
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 am

OZ1CT-Ben wrote: I have a least one I can have a look at " Behringer B1"

So you are not going to look at all 4 manufacturers I mentioned?
OZ1CT-Ben

Postby OZ1CT-Ben » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 am

HI Scott

I looked at all 4 manufacturers mentioned.... and together whit the speaker+soundcard they have this Behringer B-1 kit for a nice price :-) so that is what I just got whit the postman yesterday :-)

so now I wil have a look at OpenHPSDR CFC Audio Tools W1AEX.....

73 Ben
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am

You are going to have some fun!
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 pm

I found a pair of used JBL 305 monitors at the local music store. Thanks for starting this thread. Thanks to Scott and Chris for the recommendations.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Old thread I know, but I'm curious how people are driving monitor speakers with the 7000DLE MKII . (no PC)
I've tried the 3mm audio output, but my radio at least has low-level noise on it - low level crackle and spits. Not a fan. :|

The (Very Strange) 1/4" jacks on the back are ok, but 2 watts of "chip audio" does not appeal to me either.

I have a number of audio amps and speakers available, the issue seems to be getting a clean signal out of the radio at a reasonable impedance and level. The rig is only six months old, so I'm not too keen on modifications yet, but I may consider that.

Is the audio amp power amp on a separate board from the Orion II? If so, perhaps I could make a "reversible" modification and bring a line-level signal out from the radio board. ?? I have the "manual", but it fails to provide much in the way of technical information.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:15 am

N7CXI wrote:Old thread I know, but I'm curious how people are driving monitor speakers with the 7000DLE MKII . (no PC)
I've tried the 3mm audio output, but my radio at least has low-level noise on it - low level crackle and spits. Not a fan. :|

The (Very Strange) 1/4" jacks on the back are ok, but 2 watts of "chip audio" does not appeal to me either.

I have a number of audio amps and speakers available, the issue seems to be getting a clean signal out of the radio at a reasonable impedance and level. The rig is only six months old, so I'm not too keen on modifications yet, but I may consider that.

Is the audio amp power amp on a separate board from the Orion II? If so, perhaps I could make a "reversible" modification and bring a line-level signal out from the radio board. ?? I have the "manual", but it fails to provide much in the way of technical information.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI

Jim,

I have the same radio as you, I'm driving a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 satellites and subwoofer straight out of the headphone jack, no issues at all, amazing sound quality. Are you sure there's not a problem with your audio cable?

Mark K1LSB
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:18 am

Thanks, Mark.

Actually I haven't tried the headphone jack yet, just the rear-panel jacks.
I'll think about that. The impedance is all wrong, but as long as the audio amp doesn't care about that it might be worth trying.

Jim N7CXI
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:29 am

I use the HP jack on the back of my 7000 dle mk2. I never had an issue with the pc speakers but did have a ground loop issue with the jbl 305 monitors. The ground loop caused a high frequency whine when my PC was turned on. I put one of those 2 to 3 prong outlet adapters on the power cord for each monitor and solved it. It seemed more professional than cutting the ground prong off of the cords. :)
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:04 am

AG5CK wrote:I use the HP jack on the back of my 7000 dle mk2. I never had an issue with the pc speakers but did have a ground loop issue with the jbl 305 monitors. The ground loop caused a high frequency whine when my PC was turned on. I put one of those 2 to 3 prong outlet adapters on the power cord for each monitor and solved it. It seemed more professional than cutting the ground prong off of the cords. :)

The noise I hear using that output is a very low-level crackling, hissing, "scraping" noise, like a noisy semiconductor junction. I've tested the cable and put DeOxit on the plugs to no avail.

Of course the monitors I've hooked up to it have a lot of gain; it could be that I could put a Tee or PI resistive attenuator in the line and run the gain higher on the rig - putting the noise down far enough that I wouldn't hear it.

Ground loops... Now you've gone and said it. ;-) I have a small recording studio in what used to be the family room outside my shack door. A couple of years ago I had an issue develop with a high-resistance neutral in my service panel. Talk about ground loops... I'm lucky none of my gear exploded.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
Ernie

Postby Ernie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:42 am

Jim,

That sure sounds like a hardware issue. I would send that radio to Doug for repair.

W2FMU
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 pm

N7CXI wrote:Is the audio amp power amp on a separate board from the Orion II? If so, perhaps I could make a "reversible" modification and bring a line-level signal out from the radio board. ?? I have the "manual", but it fails to provide much in the way of technical information.

At this time the 7K and 8K schematics are not publicly posted but are available upon request from the factory.

If by reversible you mean without cuts and jumpers on a board the answer is "no".

The amp chip is on the main Orion MKII board.

The easiest way to get line out levels would be to cut/jumper the breakout/connector board on the rear panel to re-purpose the DIG IN RCA connectors. Left and right line-out are available on the ribbon cable that comes from the Orion MKII.

Nevertheless, you really shouldn't be having problems with the output of the headphone jack. I wonder if there is some cracked solder on that jack that could be touched up.

N7CXI wrote:Actually I haven't tried the headphone jack yet, just the rear-panel jacks. I'll think about that. The impedance is all wrong, but as long as the audio amp doesn't care about that it might be worth trying.

I would not recommend that. Here is a snippet of the schematic. You can Google the data sheet on the TPA0202 amplifier IC for more information. The outputs are configured in bridge-tied mode. If you ground either side of a speaker output, or tie them together, your risk damaging the TPA0202.

38823496620_aeb29e65ab_o.jpg
38823496620_aeb29e65ab_o.jpg (306.75 KiB) Viewed 24683 times

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”