Trouble with powered electret microphone

rbduck

Trouble with powered electret microphone

Postby rbduck » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:40 pm

I sit down this morning to set the audio up on my new 7000 DLE mkII. I am using an old self powered electret microphone. I just used it on my Yaesu FT1000mp so I know it and the battery are good. From the XLR cable on the microphone I have pin 2 from the XLR connected to the tip of the 1/8" stereo plug. I have pins 1 and 3 wired to the shield of the 1/8" plug and nothing wired to the ring. I get no audio from the microphone on the radio. I have the 7000 wired to a Palstar HF Auto tuner going into a dummy load. I have MIC IN as my source. I've tried the 20db boost. I've followed the book. I've read several forum posts and watched some interesting Youtube videos , but I'm missing something. I have also read the very good post at the top of this forum section concerning microphones. What am I missing? Thank you much for the help!

Edit: What brand and type of audio processor would be good that would facilitate being able to connect audio into the balanced line inputs on back of the 7000?
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: Trouble with powered electret microphone

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:25 pm

This topic should have everything you need to know to attach a balanced microphone output to the unbalanced microphone input:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2790&p=5387

If those methods do not work, then perhaps your microphone is not wired in the standard fashion.

There are no audio balanced inputs, or outputs, of any type on any model ANAN hardare. All audio inputs (line and mic) and outputs are of the unbalanced type. And the speaker outputs are bridge-tied and suitable only for direct connection to the voice coil of a speaker.

If you do wish to use the line inputs (really just the left input), W1AEX has a very good guide here:

http://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#audio_chain
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Thank you for the links. I had already read both of those. In the first one I wired and rewired the mic in all combinations and plugged into the front panel with no luck. I then wired it back up to the Yeasu to verify it still works. It does. I'm not sure what the issue is there, but I'm giving it a rest for now.

I have ordered what I need to get audio into the left input on the back of the 7000. I do appreciate the information and help.
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I have sound. Finally! After about 5 frustrating hours. I made sure the Plugs were on correctly. I checked continuity. I plugged it into a computer and it worked fine. I purchased a new microphone and phantom power supply and wiring. Still no sound on the Anan. Then I thought I'd probably get a little outside the box. The Profile has been on "Default" through my testing. I changed it to "Default DX". I suddenly have sound. Does anyone know what might be different between the two that it would not work on the "Default" profile? I'm moving through the settings now to see what difference I may find.

I'm also doing the setup procedure that W1AEX put out on Youtube.
Ruben
NB4R

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”