Rear speaker out L-R not panning properly

DL5RBW

Rear speaker out L-R not panning properly

Postby DL5RBW » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 am

After using a single passive speaker connected to the 6,35 mm SPKR Right connector on the back I just finished to fabricate 2 passive (8 ohms -15 W) speakers to connect them to the rear panel 6,35 mm SPKR Right & Left TRS sockets. I expected to be able to put RX1 on the left speaker and the SUB RX (with Multi RX enabled) or RX2 on the right speaker, vice versa or anything in between by shifting the sliders. Both speakers are working fine individually and are wired correct (speaker terminals to Tip and Ring) however if for example on Multi RX I can hear both signals Main RX and Sub RX with both Pan sliders centered - that´s fine. If I push one or the two sliders to the left nothing changes and both RXs can be heard on each of the both speakers. If I shift them to the right the corresponding receiver mutes. If I shift both sliders to the very right all is muted.
However if I use the headphones plugged in on the frontpanel all works as expected and for example in Multi RX mode I am able to put the Main RX to the left ear while having the Sub RX in the right ear or mixing them .

I found some information here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2744&p=5086

but the information there was mainly referring to buzz or the proper connection to the TRS connector.
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN-8000 - Rear speaker out L-R

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 am

My best guess is that your ANAN is incorrectly assembled such that both speaker outputs are wired to the left channel amplifier output. You will have to look inside and see how it is wired, or send it back in for service.
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Sounds funny but I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks!

73/Roger, DL5RBW
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am

O.k. - here is what I found:

On the ORION board are 2 sockets "J8 & J9" for Left & Right audio respectively. The situation that I already saw on the board layout schematic was confirmed by checking the cable jumpers. There is only ONE jumper connecting J8 (Left Audio output) on the ORION board to J8 on the SPREADOUT CARD where both speaker sockets (J7=Left Speaker, J9=Right Speaker) obviously are "hardwired" in parallel. There is no J9 receptacle where one could connect J9 (Right Audio output) from the ORION board to J9 on the SPREADOUT CARD where it would be connected to J9 (R Speaker) exclusively.

Is there any special reason for paralleling both rear speaker outputs to the Left Audio output on the ORION board? The TPA0202 chip is capable of driving two loads individually - at least on the ORION board provision has been made for separate Left & Right audio AND the circuit diagram reflects the correct version - Left Audio output on the ORION board connected to the rear L(eft) speaker jack and Right Audio output on the ORION board connected to the rear R(ight) speaker jack.

Maybe mine is an old revision SPREADOUT CARD with still both speaker jacks connected in parallel to one audio output on the ORION board. Otherwise it would mean nobody else ever hooked up two loudspeakers and played around with it. Other than that the only solution would be to cut the traces for the Right Speaker on the SPREADOUT CARD and connect the Right Speaker jack to J9 on the ORION board. Whether this will establish the mixing possibilities and the binaural hearing on the speakers like I am used to with the headphones I am not sure as the audio for the headphones uses a different route. Maybe a temporary connection of one of the loudspeakers to J9 on the ORION board may tell whether the "mixing" works. If I understand it right the "mixing" has to be done elsewhere in the DSP as the TPA0202 is an audio amplifier only. The "mixing" in the DSP may work however if one of the two output channels is missing it is hard to say.

This refers to the ANAN-8000. I don´t know whether the ANAN-7000 for example is different in layout.

It would be nice if other ANAN-8000 users and maybe ANAN-7000 users too could confirm or reject this situation - either by giving it a try or by checking the wiring. The ANAN is userfriendly and easy to open up. Just be careful to not pull away the bottom cover with verve as you would likely break apart the 12 V cable of the blower.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Roger,

Bottom line up front: try moving that cable from Orion J8 to Orion J9 and see what happens.

In more detail...

I have an 8000. I have never used the speaker outputs, or any audio input or output because I use VAC exclusively and because the hardware is located in a rack in the basement, not at my operating position in my second floor office studio. Thus it is not easy for me to compare results.

However...

On the schematics I have I see the following connections:

1. Right speaker audio output comes from Orion J8 pins 1 and 2 and also Orion J16 pins 14 and 15.
2. Left speaker audio output comes from Orion J9 pins 1 and 2.
3. Spreadout J9 (I don't know if it's marked left or right on the rear panel) is connected to Orion J16 pins 14 and 15.
4. Spreadout J7 (I don't know if it's marked left or right on the rear panel) is connected to Spreadout J8 (and not paralleled with Spreadout J9) which is presumably connected to Orion J9.

Leaving aside the issue of left/right reversal, which really doesn't matter so much, it would seem that it may be as simple as plugging the cable that comes from the Spreadout (I hate that name, it should be "breakout") card into Orion J9, instead of Orion J8 where you report it is now. This is also supported by the photos shown in the video link that Helmut posted, which also show the cable plugged into Orion J9.

Scott
DL5RBW

Postby DL5RBW » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi Helmut & Scott,

thanks for your replies - I still had the radio open on the "autopsy desk" and shifted the jumpercable from J8 to J9 (on the ORION board). Not really expecting any difference other than R and L being reversed I assembled the radio again and hooked it up in the operating position.

First test was BINAURAL and yes - the effect was there! Also mixing the two audio signals now is working fine so this was a 100% hit!

Still don´t understand why it is working now but now there is plenty of time to study the circuit diagram again although you seem to have a more complete package of schematics as I am missing a schematic of the "SPREADOUT CARD" completely - maybe I have to check the .pdf as it seems with printing some parts of the schematic were cut off.

Thanks for the excellent support and bringing the radio one step closer to perfect!

By the way on the rear J7 on the SPREADOUT CARD is labelled "L Speaker" and J9 is labelled "R Speaker". However the labelling is incorrect but simply hit "Swap" in the menu or place the speakers accordingly

73 Roger, DL5RBW
W1RHS

Postby W1RHS » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:23 am

Hi Guys,

I decided to try the rear L R speaker jacks on my 7000DLE MKII. Both jacks had only L audio (Rx1) but, of course, the headphone jack had both L and R and Rx1 and Rx2 could be sent to either or both by panning.

I opened up my ANAN and swapped the plug on the Orion board from J8 to J9 and that fixed the problem. I was surprised this old problem still existed. I received mine in Feb 2020. My serial number shows 11092.

Thanks for documenting this. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Rick, W1RHS
7000DLE MKII
m1tzr

Postby m1tzr » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:58 pm

I also have a 7000mk2 that I have connect 2 speakers to the rear jacks to find mono output.
As per the previous post by W1RHS I moved from J8 to J9 and now have stereo.
One thing though is left and right on the rear are reversed so left is right and right is left.
Not an issue as I can just swop the plugs but wonder if any one else has the same. If so I wonder if it is just another cable swop next time I have the rig open?

All the best to all.

Paul
W1RHS

Postby W1RHS » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:45 am

Hi Paul,

A few posts backward from here Scott mentions that Left and Right are reversed. I'm not perfectly clear on this but I think this is what happened.

J9 (plastic jack) on the Orion Board is supposed to be the Left Speaker. In parallel with J9 on the board is J27 which is a TRS 3.5mm "stereo" jack.
J8 (plastic jack) on the Orion Board is supposed to be the Right Speaker. There is no additional 3.5mm jack on this one.

During assembly the Left and Right speaker wires going to the rear panel spreadout were plugged into J9 and J27. That puts both speaker jacks in parallel on the Left channel output. By moving the wire that was plugged into J9 and move it to J8 you restore the "stereo" output.

I believe that the L-R swap may be in that the L and R on the rear panel spreadout was swapped. Because one of the rear jacks has a 3.5mm plug it can only be plugged into J27. If the L and R wires from the spreadout were both on plastic plugs then they could be simply swapped on the Orion board. Because only one is a plastic plug it is the only one that can be swapped.

Fortunately the easiest fix as you said is to just swap the speaker plugs going into the back of the radio. The only way I can think of to permanently fix it is to remove the 3.5mm TRS plug and replace it with one of those plastic plugs so that the L and R speaker wires can occupy J8 and J9 with nothing in J27.

Thanks for confirming your results, It may help others who want to address this with confidence.
Rick, W1RHS
7000DLE MKII
m1tzr

Postby m1tzr » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the explanation Rick, the only thing is I moved from J8 to J9 not 9>8 ?
Looking at the photo of the photo of the Orion board in the back of the manual I am guessing J27 is the jack to the right of J9?

Thanks
Paul
W1RHS

Postby W1RHS » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi Paul,

Here's what I saw in there. J27 is the black 3.5mm TRS jack facing outward at the edge of the board along with the SMA connectors. J9 and J8 are black plastic connectors. Starting with J27 at the board edge and working toward the center of the board the order is J27, J9, J8. On mine I moved the wire plugged into J9 and plugged it into J8. Hope this helps.

Orion Audio.jpg
Orion Audio.jpg (344.71 KiB) Viewed 14360 times
Rick, W1RHS
7000DLE MKII
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:27 pm

I posted in another thread this morning about the same problem and Scott directed me to this thread.

In my instance my cable was plugged into J8 (not J9) from the factory, so I swapped it to J9 and that solved my problem.

For the record my 7000 S/N is 11081.

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread,

Mark
w-u-2-o

Re: Rear speaker out L-R not panning properly

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Now that we are up to our fourth confirmed instance of an ANAN not being assembled correctly, I've changed the title of this topic to be more generic (cover all ANAN models) and made it a "sticky" post at the top of the sub-forum.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”