Heil Proset Headset Condenser Mic connection for ANAN 100

Vinny

Heil Proset Headset Condenser Mic connection for ANAN 100

Postby Vinny » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Scott

I have a HEIL Proset headset that I think has the condenser Mic installed for ICOM. It needs Bias to work. I am not sure if the jumpers in this radio have been fiddled with but this is what I found without opening it up:

I connected the red wire from the Mic to the tip and the screen to the Sleeve. The Mic didn't work on the ANAN 100. I think the PTT jumper is connected because the radio TX,s shortly as I plug the jack into the Mic hole.

To get Bias on the mic I shorted the tip and the ring and now the Mic works. This isn't right because selecting the 20db gain selector in the setup cuts off when I select it. I think its because i have connected the tip to the PTT.

How should the jack plug be wired and what should the ANAN 100 jumper setting look like to get it to work correctly?

This is using the Mic jack input in the front of the radio.

Please bare in mind that I am not that electronic savy so a detailed explanation would be appreciated.

regards

Vince
3DA0VV
w-u-2-o

Re: Heil Proset Headset Condenser Mic connection for ANAN 100

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 am

Vince,

Since I have NO idea how that Heil Proset is wired I can't give you an exact answer. However, I can direct you to the mic jumper settings on the Hermes card that is inside your ANAN-100:

http://openhpsdr.org/downloads/documents/Hermes/Documentation/Archive/Hermes_User_Manual_V1.10.pdf

The jumpers you seek to configure are JP4, 5 and 6.

The pinning of the microphone jack on the radio is also in that manual.

You need to match these up to the wiring of your Heil. If you can provide us with the wiring of your Proset then I or someone else can make specific recommendations on how to set up the jumpers.

One thing to keep in mind: If JP6 is in place you MUST reserve the ring contact for PTT, it CANNOT be used for a microphone signal because it will be shorted to ground every time you assert a PTT switch.

Obviously the bias jumper must be in place for a condenser microphone.

Scott
Swaziboy

Postby Swaziboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks Scott

I have no idea how this HEIL Proset is connected internally. I got it in a lot that I bought but I know it was for an ICOM so it must have a condenser mic carriage installed?. It only has two wires that I can see connected to the Jack plug. One must be the screen or Sleeve part and the other must be for the MIC itself. I will have a good look tonight again. Thanks for the PIN out config. I will check that out to. If anyone else has any comments please advise?

Kind regards

Vince
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Vince,

Let's assume it is a condenser, as you say. So set the bias jumper accordingly.

If the connector on the end of the Proset is a mono connector it must either be changed to a stereo connector, or an adapter be made. In either case, the stereo end should be wired such that the tip is the mic signal, the ring is not connected, and the shield is ground. Then the internal jumpers must be set accordingly.

You cannot use a mono plug with the Apache hardware because of the way the PTT circuit is arranged on the board.

Get out that soldering iron, time to be a real ham! ;)

Scott
Swaziboy

Postby Swaziboy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:28 am

:lol: Great stuff Scott

Thanks I am aware that you need to use a stereo plug. I will give it a go and check the jumpers as you have pointed out.

Thanks again.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”