ANAN-10 Receive Audio

Glasgow

ANAN-10 Receive Audio

Postby Glasgow » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm

I have a pair of Altec-Lansing speakers that work fine with my ANAN-10, the only issue is they sound bad, very tinny. I've tried West Mountain Radio and Bose speakers and both exhibit a huge hum. I have not been able to fix the hum. Any suggestions? BTW, I also tried my computer speakers and they also hum.
Thanks,

Harry
K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Re: ANAN-10 Receive Audio

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:22 pm

How are you connecting the speakers to the radio, i.e. which jack on the radio are the speakers connected to, and how are they wired?
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:53 pm

They are plugged into the rear speaker jack. They are stereo, powered, speakers. I have no idea of how they are wired, they are supposed to be standard. They work fine on my Flex 5000A
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:44 pm

I suspected that was the problem.

You should not use the rear speaker jack for powered speakers, and certainly not for a stereo pair of speakers.

1. It is the output of a 2W speaker amplifier. That means the output level is far too high for the line level inputs of powered speakers.
2. It is wired for left channel, mono output, only.
3. It is not wired in a normal fashion. While it is a stereo jack, the voice coil of an un-powered speaker is connected across tip and ring, shield is not and should not be used or connected in any way.

As a result of your use of this connector, it is possible that you may have damaged one or more sets of your powered speakers, and/or the audio amplifier built into the radio.

I recommend that first you test whichever powered speakers you want to use on some other device to determine if they are still in good condition. Then plug them into the front panel headphone jack of the radio which will a) provide signals that are at a more appropriate level for driving the powered speakers and b) is wired for a conventional stereo output.

This is all in the manual. Maybe not as well as I wrote it, but it is in there, just sayin'... ;)

Scott
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Scott,

Thank you for setting me straight.

I guess I made at least two errors. I was also getting the Flex 5000A going and it requires stereo, powered speakers. When I read on page 11 of the ANAN-10 manual, under ANAN Hardware Requirements, "A set of stereo speakers or stereo headphones with 3.5" - 1/8" stereo plug", I failed to note that they need not be powered.

I also did not understand (Or perhaps not pay attention to) the "NOTE: If a mono plug or shorted stereo plug is wired into the REAR PANEL Aux/IO connector, damage will occur to the audio output IC. Do NOT short these stereo pins or connect either side to ground."

It simply did not occur to me that you must use a stereo plug, wired oddly, with a SINGLE speaker. Your write-up is far more erudite and instantly understandable. Perhaps the manual should be changed? Are all ANAN's wired like this?

Note, I just reread the above and the manual and is does say, "A SET of stereo speakers........".

Again, thank you for your help.

Harry
K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Harry,

All the ANAN series radios are like this.

Please let us all know how you think it sounds after you've got it hooked up correctly. I'm sure it will sound like a million bucks. I use a set of LSR305's and I don't think they are overkill for ham radio with a receiver as good as ours. Try listening in a passband of 50Hz to 3KHz. I think you'll be impressed given the right signal.

Scott
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Good evening Scott and all,
This all started back a while ago when I was asking why my Flex 5000A sounded much better than my ANAN-10. Now, with a correctly wired, unpowered, inexpensive (some would say cheap), Insignia speaker, my ANAN sounds fantastic. Better than the Flex. While I have not tried all settings, comparisons of both radios audio shows the ANAN to be superior. I'm impressed.
Harry
K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 am

Glad we got that straightened out, Harry. Try some of the fancier, powered speakers plugged into the headphone jack. You might be even more impressed.
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 pm

I have moved the ANAN-10 to an NUC computer and, again, audio problems. I do have a correctly wired speaker plugged into the headphone jack in the front of the radio. When I look at the Setup -Audio panel- Primary- all the selections are grayed out, I can't change them. That includes Primary Sound Card Setup Details and Sound Card Selection. What to do?
Harry K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Harry,

The Setup > Audio > Primary page has, believe it or not, NOTHING to do with audio! This is a hopelessly misleading remnant of the past when the IQ data from the radio hardware was actually passed into the PC using a sound card line input instead of Ethernet. The only settings on that page that matter to you are sample rate, which sets the IQ IF sample rate from the radio hardware, and the buffer size, which acts to buffer that IQ sample data. It has nothing to do with audio and is maintained for those who are still running the dinosaur precursors to the Hermes card.

So what kind of audio problems are you experiencing?

Scott
Glasgow

Postby Glasgow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Scott,

Yeah, I thought about it for a while and concluded that the page was misleading. The audio in all in the ANAN-10. My problem is the speaker is silent. MON is highlighted, Master AF is 100, RX1 AF is 37, AGC Gain is 107. The speaker is properly wired and worked with the old computer. What am I missing? I'm trying to listen to a local AM station. AM is selected. I'm stumped.

Harry K1RSA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:15 am

Is MUT (mute) on? Is squelch on?

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”