Wireless Bluetooth headset and mic recommendations

NZ5F

Wireless Bluetooth headset and mic recommendations

Postby NZ5F » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 pm

I know friends of mine are using wireless headsets when removing on their Flex 6000 rigs but what what about Bluetooth headsets and rigs in the shack. What are people using. I am a bit tired of being tied to the rig with a cord. Looking for something I can use with my Anan 100D. Any close to out of the box solutions out there?

Thanks & 73,

Keith
Nz5f
NZ5F

Re: Wireless Bluetooth headset and mic recommendations

Postby NZ5F » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Should say remoting not removing. Anyone have a fix for bad autocorrect on their iPhone. Lol.
w-u-2-o

Re: Wireless Bluetooth headset and mic recommendations

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm

You can edit your own posts. Just use the edit button at the top right of the post, the one with the little pencil ;)

I've only used Bluetooth headsets with my PC. Since all of my audio goes through my PC, this is not a problem. The one I liked the best was the Logitech H800. With some judicious EQ is sounded OK. No Bluetooth headset will be the equal of a normal microphone. The other problem with Bluetooth headsets is that they have a substantial amount of latency, easily over 100mS. You will notice this.

You can engineer your way around the lack of built-in Bluetooth on the radio by one of two methods. First is virtualizing your audio, i.e. using VAC to move it all through the PC. This is not hard. See here. Second would be to buy a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter dongle and wire it to the radio. I don't know anyone that's done this, but it is possible.

If you want to take things to the next level, you can go with a professional wireless microphone. I have an AKG WMS420 with the C555 headset. It has ruler flat response, sounds nearly as good as my Behringer B1 large diameter condenser mic, and zero latency. I love this thing, it is the cat's meow. I wander all over the station with it and use VOX. I can even Chromecast the radio to TV's around the house and, since it has a range of well over 100ft, wander around the entire house with it. I've actually got mine wired to my PC through a Behringer UMC202, however there's no reason you couldn't do a balanced to unbalanced connection to the Line In pins on the radio accessory connector. This is not hard either, see here.

Scott

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”