7000 speaker jack question

WA2DVU

7000 speaker jack question

Postby WA2DVU » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Just received my 7000. Is there any way to turn off rear speaker jacks when using headphones plugged into the front of the unit?

If not I can put switches on the speaker lines.

How do you turn on PTT in RCA jack on rear of unit?. I would like to use a foot switch. 73, Bill, WA2DVU
w-u-2-o

Re: 7000 speaker jack question

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 am

There is no way to separately turn off the speakers with the current software. You will have to provision a separate switch if that is what you want. This is true on ALL openHPSDR architecture radios, as all ANAN's are, not just the 7000.

The RCA PTT IN connector is only active if PTT is turned on in Setup > General > Hardware Config. Note that the rear panel RCA jack and the front panel TRS are connected in parallel where PTT IN is concerned. If you have PTT turned off in Hardware Config. neither will work. This is true on ALL openHPSDR architecture radios, as all ANAN's are, not just the 7000.

Scott
WA2DVU

Postby WA2DVU » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Thank you Scott.73 Bill
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:03 pm

One option is to utilize an open collector (OC) output to control a SPDT relay with contacts in series with the speaker leads. That requires going into PSDR mRx Setup each time you want to invoke a change.

I'll be adding an Arduino Nano microcontroller to my 7000DLE to minimize relay noise in CW mode - assuming the PureSignal relays are still engaged in CW like other ANAN models. With just a couple lines of new code added, an input line can be configured to detect a DC headphone load of say...4-60 ohms. Upon detection of the load, a relay opens the speaker line. The headphone sense line into the microcontroller needs to be choked and bypassed to prevent RF ingress. Also, the input line to the microcontroller cannot introduce any DC offsets nor any other mechanism that loads the circuit or causes audio distortion.

In the old days, one could just replace a headphone jack with a type that has independent N.C. contacts. Today's "no wires" PC board designs make that awfully difficult. That said, I suppose one could <gulp> tap the headphone line and bring out a new headphone jack with normalled contacts to the front or rear panel.

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”