Connections

Jim

Connections

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:10 pm

On the 8000DLE:

Some connections on photo of front and rear panel seem a little confusing or more than one can be used. Who like info on proper or optimal
connects.

(1) where can a foot switch be plugged in? I see a PTT IN and a PTT OUT?

(2) Already have Bose Companion II speakers. Would the Stereo Headphone jack on rear work for these speakers?

(3) I also have a pair of non powered speakers and see a R SPK and a L SPK. Can these non powered speakers be plugged into these connections??
Assume wired tip and sleeve each or one tip and sleeve and the other tip and ring????????

(4) I have a computer type Yamaha and Logitech Headset that uses the tip, ring and sleeve 3.5mm stereo connector for mic so assume they
will work with no modifications although we are not fond of headsets??????

(5) I have several dynamics here, EV, Heils etc. Understand power to the mic connection can be turned off so no blocking cap should be needed.
Very basically would I just wire the + Mic wire to TIP and the -Mic wire(shield) to sleeve......... on a 3 connector stereo phono plug??

Thanks de KE4WY Jim
w-u-2-o

Re: Connections

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Jim wrote:On the 8000DLE:

Some connections on photo of front and rear panel seem a little confusing or more than one can be used. Who like info on proper or optimal
connects.

(1) where can a foot switch be plugged in? I see a PTT IN and a PTT OUT?
PTT IN.
(2) Already have Bose Companion II speakers. Would the Stereo Headphone jack on rear work for these speakers?
Yes.
(3) I also have a pair of non powered speakers and see a R SPK and a L SPK. Can these non powered speakers be plugged into these connections??
Yes, with the correct connectorization.
Assume wired tip and sleeve each or one tip and sleeve and the other tip and ring????????
No. This is really the only confusing part, and is not well covered in the user guide. Each connector requires a 1/4" TRS stereo phone plug, where tip is +, ring is - and sleeve is ground. Each of these outputs is a the output of a 2W audio amplifier. So don't short the tip or ring signal to ground or that audio output may be damaged. Tip and ring must go across a set of speaker terminals only.
(4) I have a computer type Yamaha and Logitech Headset that uses the tip, ring and sleeve 3.5mm stereo connector for mic so assume they
will work with no modifications although we are not fond of headsets??????
Yes, in general these headsets work fine. However you must be detail oriented with respect to understanding the actual pinout of the headset and adjusting the settings in Setup > H/W Select accordingly. These are almost always electret type mic elements, so bias usually must be turned on, and PTT must usually be turned off.
(5) I have several dynamics here, EV, Heils etc. Understand power to the mic connection can be turned off so no blocking cap should be needed.
Very basically would I just wire the + Mic wire to TIP and the -Mic wire(shield) to sleeve......... on a 3 connector stereo phono plug??
To be precise, you have your choice of a 3.5mm or 1/4" stereo phone jacks which accept phone plugs (the 1/4" jack being on the front panel). And, again, you need to ensure the settings in Setup > H/W Select are correct. Understanding that tiny but important details, your approach will work. You will almost certainly have to turn on the 20dB boost option in Setup > Transmit as the output of a dynamic mic is relatively low. Note also that making a balanced to unbalanced transition in a cable like this can leave you open to RFI problems. Most people get away with it, but be aware that it could be an issue. It can sometimes be advantageous to actually bond the shield and -Mic wire in the XLR end, and leave the -Mic wire unconnected at the TRS end (or use single conductor shielded audio wire and eliminate the -Mic wire entirely from the cable.

Scott
Jim

Re: Connections

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Scott, thanks for clearing everything up for me.

73 de KE4WY Jim

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”