Powered Speaker for my setup !!

N7CXI

Re: Powered Speaker for my setup !!

Postby N7CXI » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks, Scott.

That schematic is something of a revelation. I'll build a new 3.5mm cable and if the issue persists, open the rig and touch up the relevant solder joints.

Jim N7CXI
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Ok, now I'm a little confused.

My 7000DLE MKII (no PC) has:
(2) 1/4" speaker jacks on the rear panel, marked "L SPK" and "R SPK"
(1) 1/8 (3.5mm) jack on the rear panel, marked "HP"
(1) 1/4" Headphone jack on the front panel.

Note the 7000DLE MKII 'user guide' from the Apache Labs site shows the rear-panel 3.5mm jack as being labeled "AUDIO", and is referred to in the legend as "PC Audio". On my rig it's labeled "HP".

The schematic snippet shows only one "headphone" output, (wired L+,-) with no ground reference. I have two outputs labeled "Headphone" and "HP", one 1/4" on the front panel, and one 1/8" on the rear panel.

If this schematic snippet is correct, the 1/8" jack is left-channel audio only, balanced output with no ground reference.
Is that correct?
If so, I've been going about this all wrong. I don't believe I've damaged the TPA0202 because both speaker outputs still work correctly...

I'm surprised this hasn't been more of an issue, unless I'm being particularly thick-headed...

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Jim,

Both of the headphone outputs are wired in parallel and are fed by the headphone output of the TLV320AIC23B audio CODEC chip in the 7000 (and every other ANAN series unit from the Hermes on up). Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output.

See this other topic: https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2612&p=4075

Both of the left and right line outputs of the TLV320AIC23B are sent to the TPA0202. Both left and right channels are supported on the powered speaker outputs of the 7000.

Both the left and right line outputs of the TLV320AIC23B are paralleled out to the accessory connector of every ANAN series unit except the 7000 and 8000. However, these signals are available on the J16 ribbon cable that leaves the Orion MKII board and goes to the rear panel connector board.

To more fully understand the circuitry, the CODEC and TPA0202 circuit is exactly the same on all ANAN units from the Hermes on up. You can look at any of the older schematics posted here and see this. The only thing that is different on the 7000 and 8000 is the rear panel connectorization.

Scott
Dave30019

Postby Dave30019 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Jim,

You have a Black 7000DLE MKII? I have one too, one month old. My FRONT headphone jack is 1/8" or 3.5mm not 1/4" like you said. I have no rear 'HP' connection, what is that for?
I use the front 1/8" headphone jack with my Powered PC stereo speakers except for occasional static it works great.

Dave
k4em
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Scott:
" Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output."
Ok, but that's not what the schematic snippet you posted shows. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the snippet shows the 3.5mm headphone connector driven only from the left channel, with no ground reference. The 3.5mm rear-panel "AUDIO" connector can't be paralleled from the speaker outputs, since in actuality its referenced to ground and provides a fairly low-level (but in my case a little noisy) output. ???

Dave ( K4EM ) :
No, mine is silver. You're the first person I've heard of that has the new black-cased rig. Congrats!

Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm

N7CXI wrote:" Both left and right channels are supported on the headphone output."
Ok, but that's not what the schematic snippet you posted shows. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the snippet shows the 3.5mm headphone connector driven only from the left channel, with no ground reference. The 3.5mm rear-panel "AUDIO" connector can't be paralleled from the speaker outputs, since in actuality its referenced to ground and provides a fairly low-level (but in my case a little noisy) output. ???
My apologies. While I pointed you at the full schematic that is available for the other ANAN models, it would appear I did not emphasis the necessity of that strongly enough. Again, to more fully understand the circuitry, the CODEC and TPA0202 circuit is exactly the same on all ANAN units from the Hermes on up, please look at any of the older schematics posted here. The only thing that is different on the 7000 and 8000 is the rear panel connectorization.

To add just a bit more clarity, that snippet of the TPA0202 chip only shows just a part of the story. That 3.5mm audio connector is a speaker output on certain older ANAN models (remember that I said they are all the same except for front and rear panel connectorization). On the 7000 and 8000 J8 and J9 are jumpered over to the rear panel connector board and J27 does not exist. The headphone outputs, of any size or location, are all fed directly from the CODEC IC on all ANAN models. Look at those schematics.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 am

Aha. That's what I get for speed-reading.
Thanks for the patience. I have a few ANAN schematics in the archives, I'll go take a look.

Jim N7CXI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

N7CXI wrote:Aha. That's what I get for speed-reading.
Thanks for the patience. I have a few ANAN schematics in the archives, I'll go take a look.
"Archives"? It would appear you did not notice I posted a link to all the schematics except the 7000 and 8000, either.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 pm

I meant *my* archives. I've owned quite a few ANAN rigs and have had reason to archive schematics. When I get a few minutes (assuming that happens) I'll request a copy for ny current rig.

Thanks for the help.

Jim N7CXI
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Just to verify, the 1/4" l & R jacks on the rear panel cannot drive a regular unpowered speaker? I plugged speakers in (mono plug), and I get no audio out. Or is the a setting in the setup for this..thanks

Using a 7000DLE without internal pc
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

tomsttsa wrote:Just to verify, the 1/4" l & R jacks on the rear panel cannot drive a regular unpowered speaker?

That is not correct. They exist to ONLY drive un-powered speakers.

I plugged speakers in (mono plug), and I get no audio out.

You are not using the correct connectors. See this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3149&p=8282
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have it working now. What prompted this, was some audio clicks I could hear especially when using the NR and NR2 selections, I did look around on the forums and I noticed that a recent update to win10 may be the culprit. I also hear the intermittent clicks on the speaker as well. I also have a flex 6300 and the anan switchable to the same antenna. I can report that according to my ear, the anan seems to have a slightly better receiver.
73 Tom
tomsttsa

Postby tomsttsa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Upon further investigation I have found the source of the clicks etc on the audio, believe it or not, it's the action of the mouse wheel and firefox, when displaying a page where it is necessary to use the scroll wheel, like a swap shop etc, I hear the intermittent clicks and noises on the anan audio. Stop using the mouse and quit firefox, the issue disappears. So a few things to try like re-routing the various usb wires for the mouse and the powered speakers, maybe try a wireless mouse. But I'm happy it isn't an issue with the radio itself.. thanks for the help :D
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Those clicks are most likely because your PC is not powerful enough to process loading Firefox web pages while running real time IF and AF processing in the radio software. Check how much CPU your PC is using to run both.

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”